Chapter 48 • Battle of the Witches pt 2

It was Jake.

Ariel whatever happens, stick between me and Jake. Aries sounded in my head.

Okay. I replied, trying to give him peace of mind.

Heading towards the armory that was next to the practice battlefield consumed a long time on legs. But because our wolves would be more vulnerable to the witches' magic, we had to stay in human form until we really needed it.

As soon as we got to the armory, I grabbed an archery set and slung it over my shoulder, with the sleek-feeling bow in my hands.

Aries approached me silently and placed a vial closed with cork around my neck, "A piece of the Mandrake plant. In case you need it."

"What does it do?" I asked curiously.

"If you don't have the strength to kill a Witch, open the vial and quickly close your ears. She will die from the screeching voice instantly."

Furrowing my eyebrows I slowly nodded my head, deciding not to ask further and just follow orders.

Aries seemed to appreciate my submissive side that has come out today.

Some may see it as submission, but I think it's more like giving him comfort, just because I feel his desperation and worry gnawing at him inside out.

"Are you guys ready?" Jake asked, loading a shotgun in hand.

He looked bad-ass.

Aries nodded. "Let's go." He said, walking out barehanded.

"What about you?" I asked.

Aries smirked at me, "I don't need any weapons." He said clenching and unclenching his hands.

I rolled my eyes and passed him out the door.

As soon as I stepped out I noticed the cold malevolent change in the air. The rain had stopped but the unearthly atmosphere was still hanging.

The fog was so thick this time, you would literally need to cut it with a knife.

There was no movement, no bullets, nothing but the eerie sound of the wind rattling its protest.

There were no people, no sounds of screams, nothing at all.

Aries and Jake came out, standing by my side.

And they, too, were thinking what I was thinking.

It was quiet. Too quiet.

Suddenly, a silhouette ran towards us midst of the foggy air.

Jake took his aim at the silhouette, but Aries pushed the shotgun down before he could shoot.

And third Landon came into view.

He was running towards us. Perhaps to inform us of something?

No. He was running from something, fear on his face for the first time ever.

"Run!" He screamed, his face worried, bloody, and battered.