Chapter 1

When I heard that I should get married, only two thoughts came to my mind. One was ‘I knew it would happen’, and the other was that it was really over now. Whether it was my life or family responsibilities. Or the minimal reward they were expecting from me.

It was not a cliché that marriage was the grave of life. It was something I had to do anyway, but of course even later than expected. However, even the moment I got out of the long bridle, I had no choice and my expectation led to be futile.

“It’s a good thing. Since they are accepting a foolish Omega like you.”

My father could not hide his uncommon nervousness throughout his speech. Sometimes he raised his voice and his eyes lit up like someone who had seized an opportunity. Of course, the occasional scornful gaze was full of hatred towards me, a foolish Omega.

“Don’t feel too sad about it. That’s what business is all about. I hope you will understand your father’s feelings now that you have grown up.”

If he wanted to say this kindly, I wish he could at least hide his expression. The eyes glistening with greed seemed to be selling valuables. Where there should be trust, only ambition remained. What kind of feelings should I understand?

“I have high expectations from you, Sejin. If you do well, you will become a hero who will save our company. You know this is your last chance, right?”

“…Yes, Father.”

This time I had no choice but to answer. It was an insincere reply, but my father was so excited that even he didn’t notice. Father cleared his throat and forced the corners of his mouth to pull down.

“Next Saturday, we will be holding the engagement ceremony so it’s best you clear your schedule and prepare for it properly. I am talking about the place Minjae goes to, so you can head there too.”

Next week. That meant that this marriage had been discussed for quite some time. Knowing that I would not be able to refuse, he proceeded with his narrative, omitting only the person concerned. No, it was clear that he hadn’t even considered including me, since he had no choice anyway.

“If you understand, you can leave.”

In fact, there were many things I wanted to ask. Why did the other company accept me? Why did they choose a male Omega instead of a talented female Omega? Plus, what did my Father, no, Haeshin Group receive in exchange?

“What are you doing? Go and prepare.”

But even if I did ask, nothing would change. Would it be enough to know a person’s value? At times like this, avoiding reality was advisable.

“I will take my leave then.”

I bowed my head in greeting and slowly turned my back. Normally, I would have exchanged my regards, but today I just wasn’t in the mood to do that. My shoulders were heavy as if a boulder had been placed on me, resulting from the lack of sleep all night.

“Oh, right.”

My father let out an exclamation the moment I grabbed the doorknob. He asked me to stop for a moment and rummaged through the drawers of his desk. As I turned my head, a small object flew by.

“I asked Professor Choi to get it for me. Don’t come out with a sour face and embarrass the family. Eat that and get a good night’s sleep this week.”

The medicine bottle that fell on the floor rolled up to the front of my shoes. While intentionally throwing it where I wouldn’t be able to catch it, my Father was busy kicking his tongue, asking if I couldn’t even catch it. Even as I bent down to pick up the medicine cabinet, a low murmur could be heard from his bedside.