Chapter 26

When the cycle reappeared, common particular features were resisted by using inhibitors. Commercially available suppressants were sufficient for recessive cases, but it was critical to take proper suppressants according to the doctor’s prescription for dominant cases.

Some people did not need suppressants, but the majority were married or had a partner with whom they could satisfy their cravings. I was neither the former nor the latter, but because my suppressant was ineffective, I was forced to take time off.

As little as a month and as much as a half-year. The period during which the cycle occurred differed depending on whether the feature was superior or inferior. It arrived more frequently if it was dominant, and less frequently if it was recessive.

As a dominating Omega, I went through a hit cycle every month. When it happened, I had to lock myself in my room and hold my breath until the burning need passed. I held on for dear life, waiting for the moment when all the whirlpools would vanish.

I couldn’t even imagine meeting someone during such a heat wave. It meant I’d never considered meeting an Alpha or satisfying the sexual need that was growing up in my gut.

‘…How about meeting someone instead?’

Chief Kim once spoke solemnly. It was an uncharacteristic remark, and it came out after much hesitation. It was true that I considered how stuffy it could have been.

‘Are you saying I should date someone?’

‘…’

I probably couldn’t agree because the intention of the phrase was not ‘date.’ It was probably because I knew I wouldn’t be able to meet anyone as the Director.

‘I can’t…yet.’

It wasn’t going to happen. It was a multi-layered explanation. A more appropriate expression could not have been found due to a lack of time and emotion. Wasn’t it true that giving up to someone else was only feasible if you had both physical and mental strength?

Of course, even if it was just a sexual partner and not a relationship.

‘It’s not easy to meet an Alpha.’

It wasn’t enough to merely create a friendship to get through the heat cycle properly. The prerequisites for pheromone production, interaction, and reproduction must all be met. Despite the fact that it was an animal-like procedure, the opponent had to be ‘Alpha’.

‘There is no one who wouldn’t spread rumors in the first place…’

However, in most cases, those with distinguishing characteristics were the only ones to obtain their positions. It was because individuals born with superior genes to Betas had long taken the lead. As a civilization in which money and property were passed down from generation to generation, their characteristics were also passed down to this day.

There was no alternative way to break the chain, despite the fact that the old-fashioned aristocratic culture was no different. Of course, rumors would eventually circulate in the industry no matter who I met at any company.

‘You know what my father is and will say.’

Because certain features were inherited only between specific traits, the number of opportunities for Beta to interfere was diminishing. It was for this reason that my father chose me as an Omega. In a society where marriage and childbearing were essentially means to an end, the Alpha and Omega qualities were extremely advantageous. That was why I couldn’t stomach blaming myself for being an Omega, even if I didn’t like it.

‘…Sorry.’

Finally, Chief Kim apologized with a guilty expression on his face. I couldn’t tell him everything was okay, even though I knew he said it because he was afraid. Nothing was more irresponsible than presenting an unachievable solution, no matter how well-intentioned the comments were.