Chapter 12

I wanted to ask what that meant. A gun without bullets would be nothing more than a toy in the end.

‘…It’s my first time seeing a real gun.’

The sound of the drawer closing was still audible. He pulled the locked drawer twice as if he were a fastidious person. He stepped up and remarked this after ensuring that the drawer could not be opened.

‘Let’s go to the room. You have only slept for a few hours.’

Kwon Yido spoke kindly, but in the end, he was shooing me out. Seeing as he didn’t even ask why I was there, he must have realized that I had no other business. I followed Kwon Yido out without saying a word, and he frowned as he belatedly looked at me.

‘…Barefoot?’

‘Oh, I don’t have any slippers.’

Just then, the study door closed, and the hallway was instantly engulfed in darkness. My vision, which relied on a thin beam of light, did not miss Kwon Yido’s outstretched hand. The problem was that I was startled by his natural behavior.

‘…’

‘…’

I slapped away Kwon Yido’s hand. It was his left hand that was holding the gun in the study. It was rude, and even I, who reflexively pushed him away, was embarrassed.

‘Oh, that’s…’

My heart was beating strangely fast. The back of his hand gave me goosebumps, so much so that I got goosebumps all over my body. The hand that was comforting last night felt like something threatening to me at that time.

‘… Sorry.’

I handed him an apology without hearing him out and ran back to my room. After changing into my clothes, I went straight to bed and tried to sleep. When I came down to the first floor in the morning, Kwon Yido did not ask me if I had done anything wrong.

“I’m not afraid of Mr. Kwon Yido. I was just a little surprised.”

My throat felt clogged, so he took a sip of his drink. Since Kwon Yido started the conversation himself, I also had things to say to him.

“I was rude in many ways.”

Kwon Yido’s gaze turned toward me. The two quietly sunken eyes contained more meaning than ten words. As always, I recited the excuses I had to make.

“There has never been a case like this before, so I had no idea that the heat cycle would come so suddenly. I should have prepared in advance, but I acted irresponsibly. I will be careful next time.”

I will be careful. I will try my best.

This was something I had to say to my father whenever he showed me something I couldn’t see. When I said this, my father responded like this with a disapproving expression on his face.

What a nuisance. Behave properly next time.’

“Be careful…”

Kwon Yido muttered and slightly frowned. He looked deep in thought and then quietly pursed his lips. After a short interval, he opened his mouth in a low-pitched voice.

“How are you going to be careful?”

Sarcasm… No, should I say it was absurd. I wasn’t in the mood to say that it would have been better if I had been locked in a room instead of a greenhouse. Before I could reply, he monotonously refuted the apology I gave him.