Chapter 23

It had been three days. The absence of Kwon Yido was not as lonely as the first day. The following day, I returned to the greenhouse and casually read books.

Kwon Yido had someone do the arduous labor of installing lights in the greenhouse while I was at home, as promised. They ran a line from the ceiling to the light, which turned on automatically late at night. I didn’t arrive while it was dark, but even without seeing it, I thought it was lovely.

“What are you doing tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow?”

As usual, I was drinking tea. Lee Taeseong abruptly inquired. I was enjoying the beautiful lavender perfume and admiring the flower petals floating in the teacup. It couldn’t be flowering season yet. When I thought about it and asked him why, Lee Taeseong looked even more perplexed.

“The managing director said there was no need to come to work tomorrow.”

“…Hm.”

What is going to happen tomorrow? I considered it, but nothing occurred to my mind. It wasn’t the day Kwon Yido had returned, nor was it the day I was meant to go out. The only thing I could surmise was that they were, at best, allowing him some leeway.

“Well…It’s maybe you could rest.”

Kwon Yido must have a thought. Lee Taeseong’s countenance changed as I talked with that concept in mind. He followed me, sipped his lavender tea, grimaced, and quietly opened his mouth.

“Can I ask you one thing?”

“Please do.”

I put down the book I was reading and looked Lee Taesung in the eyes. He was still frowning, his enormous hands gripping the teacup.

“I’ve been wondering for a while. Is there any point in me protecting you?”

“…Hm.”

This piqued my interest as well. What did Kwon Yido mean when he appointed Lee Taeseong as my bodyguard? There would be no reason for someone to be this close to me if monitoring wasn’t the goal.

“Well, you should ask your boss about that.”

But there was nothing I could say in response. I wasn’t the one who recruited him, so how could I possibly know what Kwon Yido was thinking? Lee Taesung claimed to be a bodyguard as well as an errand boy, and if he said it was pointless to be a security guard, he would have him run errands for me.

“I don’t know much.”

Lee Taeseong kept his mouth shut when I answered gently. I pulled out my phone, looked at the time, and stood up. It was nearly time for lunch, Lee Taeseong put down the book he was reading and joined me.

Before the main course, Tarak porridge with thinly sliced chestnuts was served for lunch. It was crimson and sticky, but it had a savory finish, so it wasn’t too unpleasant to eat. Originally, aperitif dishes were always served, but a few days ago, it appeared that only items that were easier to digest were being served. As if he was already aware of how I had behaved that day.

It was three days ago. Documents were stolen from Kwon Yido’s room that day. I threw up everything I had eaten the day before as soon as I woke up. The chilly perspiration I had drenched all night had made the bed shambles, and my complexion was pallid and unattractive. If my father had seen me, he would have thrown me out, saying I was useless.

What was the source of my nausea? The true picture remained somewhat hazy. I obviously couldn’t digest my food, but I was sick because of the nightmare I experienced that night.