Chapter 27

“…”

No voice came out. Even though I knew I had to say something, all I could do was flutter my eyelids. The coziness that had enveloped me just a moment ago disappeared, and his head felt as if cold water had been poured on me.

Excuse… No, should I call it an explanation? I was dumbfounded at my stupidity, wondering why I had completely forgotten that. Was he possessed by a ghost, or was he too relaxed?

“…”

I couldn’t bear to check his expression. I couldn’t remember what kind of face he was making just a moment ago. Of course, he would be angry. Otherwise, he would scold me with his cold eyes. Whatever my reaction, it didn’t bode well for me.

“Jung Sejin.”

“….Yes.”

Just barely, I managed to get a single answer out. He put the documents he was holding down on his lap, staring at me askance. Only after a long silence, he asked in that polite voice.

“Why do you need this document?”

“…”

I thought that was Kwon Yido’s final mercy to me. It felt like he was personally giving me a chance to make any excuse. That was why he kept his mouth shut and waited for my answer.

‘Please bring just this one document.’

What if I told you my father told me to do it? That option didn’t even exist in the first place. If Kwon Yido’s anger was directed at Haesin Group, my usefulness would end there. Wouldn’t it be a better choice to just become a greedy fiancé?

“… I did it because I was greedy.”

The excuse came out casually. My voice didn’t tremble, and his expression didn’t break. Kwon Yido asked me crookedly as I slowly got up.

“Greed?”

I grabbed the blanket without being noticed. My throat tightened, but I managed to take shallow breaths. Meanwhile, the fact that I was wearing his clothes made him feel so sorry that my heart ached.

“… I was disappointed to have to resign from my position as the Director.”

‘I guess it’s disappointing. You quit your job as Director.’

This was the only thing that came to mind. The conversations I once had with Kwon Yido flooded my mind. He said that I wasn’t a good fit for being a Director, and he hoped Kwon Yido would think he was lying.

“If I take that… I thought I could secure a position in the company.”

“Ah, desire for success.”

In a dry voice, he summarized my story in one word. The moment I heard the term “desire for success,” all of this became meaningless. Success in life. It was a word that I had never hoped for and was far from me.

“… Do you remember what I said last time?”

After a short interval, he hinted. He placed the documents on the bed and slowly lowered his eyelashes. Even in this situation, he had such a perfect appearance that it was a wonder he could blink.

“Willing to give it to me…or willing to hide it?”

The words he breathed out were half incomprehensible. All I could remember was the image of him digging into his jacket pocket and pulling out something. What his neat fingers were holding was the USB that I had given him through his secretary.

“This is the original material.”

“…”

I felt like I had been hit hard in the back. Without even having time to react, my mind turned completely white. He put the USB down on top of the documents and made eye contact with me with calm eyes.