Because the kids we've given a voice to have nothing to say

𝐁𝐞𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐤𝐢𝐝𝐬 𝐰𝐞'𝐯𝐞 𝐠𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐚 𝐯𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐨

𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐚𝐲

Eddie

I'm standing in the kitchen with Hen when all of a sudden the alarm goes off loudly throughout the building, scaring the kid in the room.

I know that she's Buck's kid but I forgot what her name is.

"You are coming with me, Amelia. Sorry about your grilled cheese sandwich." I watch Hen pick up the girl who seems startled by the noise while everyone is heading to the trucks.

Poor thing.

It's hard when you don't love trucks and handy work like Christopher does.

Maybe I can bring Christopher over to the station so Amelia doesn't feel alone around all these adults?

"Thanks for cooking for her Hen, I guess she's coming with us in the truck." Hen, Amelia, and I head down the stairs as fast as we can towards the trucks.

We gotta get her used to the fire pole.

Although, she's just a kid so safety first.

"Dad, can I sit next to to you?"  I try to sit next to Buck because he's supposed to be my partner/mentor.

He's been talking to Captain Nash in the office so I haven't gotten a chance to properly introduce myself to him.

"Go ahead." I move to a spot next to Chim who is the jokester of the group.

"Amelia, what do you say to Eddie?" Buck says to his daughter who insantly ignores me.

"Thank you." I hear her whisper as I watch Buck help her into the seat that's a little too high for her.

"These are great, see 'cause we can talk to each other. Though sometimes I wish I had a mute button for your dad's." I watch Chimney hand her a headset to put on, even though it's way too big for her.

In response, Buck honked the horn causing Amelia to laugh.

I guess the horn wasn't as loud as the sirens in the station that startled her.

"Chimney, shush." I watch Amelia smile at us since she's still warming up to us.

"You have a scar like my dad does." I watch Amelia point to Howie's forehead while Buck and him laugh.

"Very observant, kid. I have a scar, your dad has a birthmark. Two different things." I watch Howie boop her forehead making her squint and squeeze her eyes closed.

"How did you get it?" I listen to Amelia talk while the engine sirens go off.

"I got in an accident and had a rebar pole stuck in my forehead. I am invincible. I survived by miracle and god." I laugh at Howie along with the rest of the team.