Maybe it's time to shut away 'Cause I've never really felt okay

𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐧'𝐭 𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐭 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬.

𝐈𝐬 𝐢𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐚𝐲

𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐲?

𝐌𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐞 𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐡𝐮𝐭 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐲

'𝐂𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐈'𝐯𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐭 𝐨𝐤𝐚𝐲

Eddie

I've been a newbie at the station for about two weeks and I think Buck has repeated the ground rules to me more times than he has followed them.

He broke the no running into house fires without Captain's order rule the first day I was here.

He broke the no kitchen fires rule on the fourth day I was on duty as a probationary firefighter.

And yesterday, he slid down the fire pole for fun, which is off-limits unless there's a call.

I kind of admire how reckless and carefree Buck is but I am not a rule-breaker.

"Dad! Dad! Look! Can you please sign this?" I hear a familiar voice and crutches from the bottom of the stairs as I hold a plate with a burger on it.

It's lunchtime at the station and Buck is surprisingly a good cook.

He's making us all chicken and burgers on the rooftop grill.

Safety first too.

"Christopher, what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at school?" I open my arms out for him to hug me.

He runs into my arms, hugs me, then backs away and hands me a piece of paper.

"What's this?" I ignore the stares from my co-workers behind me above the stairwell railing.

"My class is going to the air and space museum!" I hear Carla chuckle behind him while she takes his backpack so it's not weighing him down.

"Woah that's cool buddy." I give Carla a look since leaving my son with disabilities on a field trip isn't the best idea.

"Can you sign it? Can I go? Please dad?" I see Buck staring at me with wide eyes since I never told the team I had a son.

I told Captain Nash of course since he's my boss.

"Okay but Carla has to go with you..." I hesitate and reply quietly to try not to make a scene.

"We'll talk about this later. I can take him to his robotics club meeting. He was so excited to see you and get you to sign it. Don't disappoint him. It's a field trip. Let him be like the other kids." I watch Carla walk over to me and nudge my shoulder.