And I want you, and I need you

𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮,

𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈 𝐠𝐨𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐮, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈'𝐥𝐥 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐲 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮;

𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐲𝐚.

Eddie

The rest of the team is visiting Buck in the hospital while I volunteer to watch Amelia for the day. Buck's sister, Maddie is working and he can't talk to Amelia's sitter when he's laid up in bed.

Amelia's been at my house enjoying her time with Chris or at least I think she is happy with him.

I'm making them popcorn since it's one of the only things I can cook without burning it and I keep checking my phone for texts from Carla, Buck, or Cap in case they need me.

"I think my dad loves your dad." I overhear my son say from his bedroom.

"I want my dad to be happy and in love. I'm scared though. Chris, when your dad dates someone do you think they are replacing your mom?" I overhear Amelia say from Chris' room where they have set up a pillow fort.

I lean by the half-closed doorway, and can't help but eavesdrop on the kids.

"Why are you scared? I know my mom is gone but she still loves me." I hear Chris say to Amelia clearly.

"I don't like changes. Too many changes have happened in my life and I wish that I could pause for a moment. First, the school fire, then my allergy and asthma attack, and now my dad is hurt and in the hospital. Oh, and people are making fun of my scars and medication now that I have to use an inhaler in school. Amy L said I'm the reason why students can't eat PB&J." Amelia says to Chris as I hold the two bowls of popcorn outside my son's bedroom door.

 "What if you asked your dad to let you switch schools then you would feel safer, make friends with my friends, and our dads can date? I can show you some tips my dad taught me about having anxiety." I can't help but listen to the two kids.

"But I don't want my dad to date. I want him to be safe and not injured. Love is scary Chris, we both know it because people leave and abandon us. People go and disappear. My mom is not like yours Chris, she didn't love me enough. At least I don't think she did." Amelia's voice cracks and I am so tempted to open the door and ruin their friendly moment.

"Yeah but even though people leave, things get better over time. You should go to my school and meet my friends." Chris says as I almost drop the popcorn bowls outside his room.

"I'll ask my dad again when he recovers. Have you ever had nightmares, Chris?" I leave after her question and go back to the kitchen to add some M&M's without nuts to the popcorn and leave them to talk.