You kept breathing but stopped living, held it like poison inside

𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐬𝐚𝐲 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐚 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧

𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐦𝐚𝐝'

𝐂𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦,

𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤?

Buck

Amelia hasn't been doing well since she came to work with me. I can tell when she is hiding something from me or acting like a child again instead of a teenager.

When we got home from work on her birthday she crashed instead of staying up late to get a treat. I knew she would be tired after the long day she had so I let her sleep in the following day since Cap let me have an off day.

I think that he was just preventing me from doing something stupid again.

Yesterday, Amelia's nanny was over while I was working a B shift.

When I came home early at 10 to surprise my daughter, the nanny told me that Amelia 'wasn't feeling well' and refused to come out of her room. I didn't quite believe that but let her sleep in any way.

Since she had that nightmare about her mom she hasn't opened up to me like she usually does.

She's usually quite energetic around me, then when she goes out to meet people she's super shy like she was at the station.

"Maddie, am I doing something wrong? This new guy at the station was better with Mils than I was. Am I not a good father?" I eat one of the blueberries that is meant for our blueberry pancakes.

I am trying to redo Amelia's birthday.

I can't imagine what she feels like as a child of a firefighter who saw her dad in a real house fire incident.

"What? You are an amazing Dad to Amelia. What new guy?" I feel Maddie nudge me in the shoulder as my cheeks heat up.

"There's a new probationary firefighter at the station. His name is Eddie. I haven't formally introduced myself to him. I thanked him for staying with Amelia in the truck while I was saving someone in a burnt house. I saved the boy. Although, I came out coughing with all this ash and soot around my face. Amelia saw most of it go down. I can't imagine what she feels like after that happened on her birthday. It's my fault she saw that trauma on her birthday." I lean my head on my sister's while she teaches me to fold the blueberries into the pancake mix.

"Buck, it's your job to save people. It's not your fault that you had to take her to work with you. Do you like this Eddie guy? He seems good with kids that's for sure." I watched Maddie pour the pancake mix onto the pan since she was the cook in the Buckley family.