Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's a boy!

Jo's POV:

"Oh my god," Nikki moaned. "This pasta is phenomenal."

We were at Carmello's, the best Italian spot in town. We had reserved a private room in the back for the group, consisting of the four of us roommates, Ethan, his friend Connor, and a few of Nikki's sorority sisters. Nikki was the only one of us in Greek life on campus, and she always says she would've dropped if it wasn't for her amazing family.

Emma chuckled. "Keep it in your pants there, Nik."

"Oh fuck off," Nikki retorted, flinging a piece of penne at Emma. "It's my birthday, you can't say shit." It bounced square off Emma's forehead, eliciting a laugh from the room.

I was glad Nikki was enjoying the dinner, as the restaurant was a surprise to her. We even called ahead to make sure there were cannolis in stock for dessert. 

"So," Sam started, "a little birdy told me an interesting rumor today." He took a big bite from his plate, looking up at the group with a devilish grin. His eyes landed on me,  as we were conveniently sitting directly across from each other. "I heard a certain someone got whacked in the face by God himself," he chuckled.

I groaned, bringing my palm to my face to hide my embarrassment. "Oh fuck, how do you know that?" I looked around the table, and was met with a sheepish Emma.

"You did not."

She blushed. "It was too good to keep to myself!" Ethan chuckled alongside her, which only made my embarrassment grow.

"You told him too?"

Connor slowly raised a hand. "...me too, Jo. Sorry about that." He smiled shyly, averting his gaze quickly back down to his plate.

I've always suspected Connor had a crush on me, but I've never had any proof other than his extreme nerves when I'm around. Oh, and Emma constantly tells me how he's in love with me.

Don't get me wrong, Connor's a cutie, and he's a great friend. And aside from the fact that I view him like a brother, I also wouldn't want to potentially ruin what Ethan and Emma have going on. I don't see Connor being "the one," so why waste the time.

"Ugh, you gossipers," I said with a roll of my eyes. "But yes, a certain asshole happened to hit me square in the face today with the door. It was an accident, but still, a sorry would've been nice," I shrugged and returned to my plate. Nikki was right, the food was divine.

Sam sat back in his chair and cleared his throat, ready to make an announcement. "Well you see," he grinned, "I did a little sleuthing myself. And guess who your mystery door- slapping model man is, Jo?" He wiggled his eyebrows, taunting me.

I felt all eyes on me, heat rising to my cheeks. "Fine, I'll bite," I exclaimed. "Who is he?"

Sam clapped his hands together like a giddy child. "This is good. You guys, this is really good." He looked around the room, making sure all eyes were on him. "Are y'all ready?"

"I was ready ten years ago," Emma chuckled. "Get on with it, detective."

"Alright alright woman, I'm going," he caved. "It was Colton Cavanaugh."

A collective gasp was heard around the room. Ellie, Nikki's sorority sister, slammed her hands down on the table. "THE Colton Cavanaugh? The real one?" She gasped.

Sam nodded. "Well, that's what my sources tell me. I looked him up in the class registry and he's the only one in Jo's class who's remotely good looking, so if the shoe fits I have to run with it."

Sam was involved in our student body on campus, and thus had access to all class, sport, and extracurricular rosters. If you needed to stalk someone, you went to Sam.