Horror Movie SUMMARY

A/N: This chapter is a summary of the previous one for those who need it. No new plot here, so feel free to skip if you did read the last one:)

Jo's POV:

Colton came back on Tuesday. I was cramped trying to study for my exams and finish my final essay, but I was dying to see him.

Pathetic, I know.

He had texted letting me know he was in a similar position. He had to catch up on all his studying, even though he was lucky enough to have gotten extensions from most of his professors. We made plans to meet up Thursday, giving us 48 hours to get our shit together. It was the only thing pushing me through the week.

Tuesday night, I was holed up in the library, trying to grind through all my studies. It had gotten late, and it was now pitch black outside. Emma and Nikki had joined me for a bit, bringing me a sandwich for dinner. Ugh, how I love my friends.

They eventually got tired and headed back to our apartment, leaving me in the near empty library to finish up. I had spent many late nights at the library, so this was nothing new for me. I kind of liked how quiet and eerie it got; the only sounds were made when people eventually packed up their things and left. It made me feel like I was at Hogwarts.

I let out a yawn. I checked my phone, and saw it was nearing 2 am. Oops.

I decided to review one more chapter of my textbook, then call it a night. I took a big chug of my now-lukewarm coffee, and got to work.

My eyes started to drift off as I read, and I tried with all my might to stay focused. One more chapter, Jo.

After what felt like an eternity, I was done. Thank God. I slowly packed up my things, lazily shoving everything into my bag. It was definitely time to go home.

The only people left in the library at this hour were a small group of students in the corner, a few others scattered here and there, and the librarians. I made my way to the door, queuing up a solid playlist for my walk home. The cold air hit me with surprise as I opened the door. Fuck, this walk was going to be miserable.

I trudged home, hugging myself tightly to defend against the elements. It was getting colder and colder with each passing day, and I made a mental note to start carrying gloves with me.

As I rounded the corner to my apartment, I noticed a man standing on the sidewalk across from me. He was tall, lean, and completely dressed in black. For a fleeting moment, I hoped it was Colton, before realizing Colton was much bigger and slightly taller.

I kept walking, ignoring the man standing there. But out of the corner of my eye, I saw him start to move. I picked up my pace, not wanting to get into trouble. He followed suit, picking up his pace and walked parallel to me. Oh fuck.

I grabbed my keys and held them tightly in my fist. I pulled out my phone and typed in 911, just in case.

I was practically running at this point, my apartment door just in sight. As I reached the steps, I turned and saw him crossing the street. Double fuck.

Flustered, I began jamming my keys in the door, trying desperately to get inside. I finally got it open, and was about to slam it shut when his hand reached out, stopping it. I froze.

I could recognize that face anywhere. It haunted me every night when I slept. Nate was standing there, his icy blue eyes glared down at me, a cruel smirk on his pale face. His slightly-grey hair peaked out from under his cap, making his appearance even more frigid. I felt my blood go cold, my feet frozen in place.

"Josephine," he breathed, "let's talk. Please."

My mouth hung open, unable to form words. It was like my worst nightmare had come to life, trapping me. I knew I should starting screaming, kick him and shove him out the door. But I couldn't.

"Josephine, please," he begged, pushing the door open wider. Finally, as if the push on the door had triggered something, I felt my body wake up. I took both my hands and shoved him as hard as I could.

"You're violating the restraining order," I said, trying to muster up some courage in my voice. His hand lost grip on the door, and I used my body to shove it closed.

He banged on the door as I turned the lock. "Dammit, Jo, I just wanna talk. Please, let's talk," he begged. I felt tears prick at my eyes, my body trembling. I back up from the door slowly, listening to him plead outside.

"Josephine, please," he whined over and over. I grabbed the stair banister with a shaky hand, trying to balance myself. I was struggling to control my breath, panic taking over my body.

This isn't real, I thought to myself. This isn't real.

I felt myself sink down, sitting on the stairs and curling into a ball. And I lost it. I started sobbing hysterically, Nate still pounding away at the door. I pulled out my phone, ready to make the call.

"Nate, I'm go-going to c-call the cops," I hiccuped through my sobs. "G-go away."

His poundings stopped, and I heard his footsteps back away. He knew the consequences of violating the restraining order, and I guess that was enough to deter him.

I sat on the step for a while, trying to calm myself down. He's gone, you're okay, I repeated over and over to myself.

But I didn't feel okay. I felt my heart getting ripped out of my chest all over again. I instinctively reached down to rub my leg, feeling the scar through my leggings that ran down the back of my leg. It had grown fainter over time and was now barely visible, but the rough texture of the skin was still there. It was like I was reliving the accident, all the pain that I had worked to numb over the years flooding back to me.

I sat on that step for hours. I was paralyzed, reliving the accident over and over in my head. It was like a horror movie I couldn't turn off.

Eventually, I saw the sun start to rise through the window. It was now 6am, and I knew people would start leaving their units soon, getting ready for the day. I finally pulled myself up, slowly walking up the stairs to our unit. I walked in quietly, not wanting to wake anyone. I hazily made my way to my room, collapsing on the bed.

I didn't sleep that night.

Wednesday was a blur. I couldn't focus on anything. I stayed in my room, scared to leave the apartment.

I debating calling the police or my dad to let them know what happened, but decided against it. There was something embarrassing about admitting that I was still plagued by high school, still trapped in that memory.

**SUMMARY BEGINS HERE 

Nate was Jo's old assistant soccer coach in high school. He groomed her, and they dated in secret for a year. He was good looking and charming, which made Jo fall for him. He was a nice guy at first, but then began to be abusive. He was scared of losing Jo when she went to college.

Jo decided to go to Michigan State for soccer. She told Nate, and he got angry and crashed the car they were in into a tree. 

Jo was in a coma for about two months. She had broken her leg, ribs, and arms. She no longer could play soccer, and couldn't go to Michigan State anymore.

***

A/N: Hope this is helpful for those who need it:)