Horror Movie

TW: this chapter mentions physical/mental abuse, statutory rape, and some other gory things. DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO THESE SUBJECTS!!

I will include a chapter summary after this one for those who chose not to read this, so you don't miss any of the plot:)

National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673

National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233

Jo's POV:

Colton came back on Tuesday. I was cramped trying to study for my exams and finish my final essay, but I was dying to see him.

Pathetic, I know.

 He had texted letting me know he was in a similar position. He had to catch up on all his studying, even though he was lucky enough to have gotten extensions from most of his professors. We made plans to meet up Thursday, giving us 48 hours to get our shit together. It was the only thing pushing me through the week.

Tuesday night, I was holed up in the library, trying to grind through all my studies. It had gotten late, and it was now pitch black outside. Emma and Nikki had joined me for a bit, bringing me a sandwich for dinner. Ugh, how I love my friends. 

They eventually got tired and headed back to our apartment, leaving me in the near empty library to finish up. I had spent many late nights at the library, so this was nothing new for me. I kind of liked how quiet and eerie it got; the only sounds were made when people eventually packed up their things and left. It made me feel like I was at Hogwarts.

I let out a yawn. I checked my phone, and saw it was nearing 2 am. Oops. 

I decided to review one more chapter of my textbook, then call it a night. I took a big chug of my now-lukewarm coffee, and got to work.

My eyes started to drift off as I read, and I tried with all my might to stay focused. One more chapter, Jo.

After what felt like an eternity, I was done. Thank God. I slowly packed up my things, lazily shoving everything into my bag. It was definitely time to go home. 

The only people left in the library at this hour were a small group of students in the corner, a few others scattered here and there, and the librarians. I made my way to the door, queuing up a solid playlist for my walk home. The cold air hit me with surprise as I opened the door. Fuck, this walk was going to be miserable. 

I trudged home, hugging myself tightly to defend against the elements. It was getting colder and colder with each passing day, and I made a mental note to start carrying gloves with me.

As I rounded the corner to my apartment, I noticed a man standing on the sidewalk across from me. He was tall, lean, and completely dressed in black. For a fleeting moment, I hoped it was Colton, before realizing Colton was much bigger and slightly taller. 

I kept walking, ignoring the man standing there. But out of the corner of my eye, I saw him start to move. I picked up my pace, not wanting to get into trouble. He followed suit, picking up his pace and walked parallel to me. Oh fuck.

I grabbed my keys and held them tightly in my fist. I pulled out my phone and typed in 911, just in case. 

I was practically running at this point, my apartment door just in sight. As I reached the steps, I turned and saw him crossing the street. Double fuck.

Flustered, I began jamming my keys in the door, trying desperately to get inside. I finally got it open, and was about to slam it shut when his hand reached out, stopping it. I froze.