Ignorance is Bliss

Jo's POV:

Light crept in through the window, dragging me out of my deep slumber. I groaned, shifting my weight around in the bed, letting the soft sheets get tangled around my body as I stretched. Slowly, I opened my eyes, and found myself looking at a room that was familiar, but not mine.

Last night, I convinced Colton to order us all pizza. People had started leaving around the time I called Emma, and by the time the pizza arrived, there were only six of us left downstairs, including myself and Colton. 

I met three of his teammates/roommates: Drew, Chris, and JP. They were all pretty nice and had me rolling with laughter the rest of the night. The sixth person, Sarah, was Drew's girlfriend, and more importantly, the owner of the bong. I could tell she and I would get along. 

After we devoured the pizza, I had gotten sleepy, and I vaguely remember passing out on the couch downstairs. Colton must've brought me up after, I thought. Wait...

I peaked under the covers, and thankfully, I was still fully clothed. Granted, the pants were not mine, but at least they were on. Only my sneakers were missing, which I saw lined up neatly at the door of his room, next to my now-dry jeans. Thank God. 

I sat up and surveyed the room, noticing that I was alone. I was relieved, but a part of me wondered where Colton slept. I felt a little bad if I robbed him of his bed. 

Slowly, I pulled myself out of bed and made my way downstairs. Once I reached the landing, I saw Colton sprawled out on the living room couch, still asleep. His hair was messy and covering his eyes, his lips slightly parted as he drew in each breath. Even in his sleep he was beautiful.

Quietly, I tip-toed past the living room and to the front door, not wanting to wake him. I walked out onto the front porch, and as soon as the door was shut behind me, let out a huge exhale. 

Made it.

It was decently warm out for early October, and since the sun was shining, I decided to walk home instead of spending money on an Uber. Plus, the walk would give me enough time to practice my apology speech to Emma and Nikki.

***

"What the actual fuck," Emma gasped, her jaw practically falling on the ground. Nikki sat next to her on the couch wearing the same expression. I had just finished profusely apologizing and explaining my night, and safe to say, the group was shocked.

"You mean to tell me you were in that man's room, had on his pants, slept in his bed, and you didn't try anything?" Sam exclaimed, throwing is hands in the air. "I knew you were a little dumb but damn!"

I slapped his arm lightly. "Hey, I'm not dumb," I defended. "I barely know the guy, and he was just being nice."

"Girl please," Emma said, rolling her eyes. "He definitely wants to fuck your brains out."

I laughed. "Maybe, but if that's all it is I don't want it. I can have just as much fun by myself," I said with a wink. 

"Mmhh, doubtful," Emma said, Sam nodding enthusiastically in agreement. 

"What, do you want him to like, date you?" Nikki said sarcastically. I leaned back in my chair, taken aback by her attitude. She noticed my expression, and immediately her face softened. 

"Sorry, I didn't mean it like that," Nikki apologized. "It's just, I don't see the problem with having a little fun, no strings attached."

"No no, I get it," I sighed. "I dunno, it's just hard for me to feel comfortable with people like that." I brought my knees to my chest and hugged them, suddenly feeling a bit small. I know it's normal for college students to hookup randomly, and I don't shame anyone else for doing it - it's just when it comes to me, I feel so uncomfortable being so, well, naked in front of a stranger. 

"Oh Jo, please don't feel bad about that," Emma begged, reaching over to place a hand on my knee. I could tell she sensed my embarrassment about the topic. "I totally get what you mean, we just want you to have a little fun, y'know."

I smiled at her, grateful for her support. "Anyways, how was everyone else's night?"

Nikki slapped her palms across her face in hiding. Emma immediately letting out a laugh. "Good God, please don't even tell me," Nikki begged. "I saw the trash by my bed this morning, and that's all I need to know."

Emma pulled Nikki into a side hug. "This one," she began, grinning wickedly, "decided it was a great idea to have a shotgun competition with some of the hockey team. That didn't end so well for you, huh?"

Nikki shook her head in her hands. "No," she mumbled. 

Sam and I joined Emma in laughing at our friend's misery. 

"Oh Nikster," Sam chuckled, "when will you learn?"

Nikki peaked her eyes out from over her hands. "I fear never."

***

A/N: Short but sweet:)

Also the picture is how I imagine Jo (even tho I'm pretty sure its AI lmao). Feel free to imagine her however you'd like!