chapter 4

Elysia laid in the cave for a while till her stomach started rumbling in protest of hunger, she groaned out detesting the thought  of going out to hunt for food in this dangerous forest.

she prepared herself physically and mentally for what she was going to face.

she left her cave treading carefully while observing her surroundings.

Surprisingly she caught a few unsuspecting normal rabbits, and with a meal in mind, she started making her way back to the cave when she stumbled upon a peculiar sight

Among the moss-covered trees laid a radiant ebony egg.

Drawn by an unexplainable force, she cautiously picked it up, feeling its warmth in her hands. Soon enough, cracks appeared on its surface, and out emerged a magnificent black bird with iridescent feathers that gleamed like obsidian.

In that very instant, an unbreakable bond formed between Elysia and the bird.

Slowly the bird unfurled it wings then shook it a little.

"What shall I call you little one" Elysia asked herself out loud

As if sensing her thoughts, the bird flapped it wings excitedly and a soft voice echoes in her head

"My name is raven and I have been waiting for you"

Elysia gasped, her eyes widening with awe and  surprise, then she remembered what the glowing figure had said.

she had thought gaining consciousness meant they were smart, not actually being able to talk, but just to confirm , she asked in her mind, "you can talk?"

"Only to those who possess a special connection with me, like you do, Elysia"

Elysia listened intently, with a mixture of wonder and excitement evident on her face.

Thinking to herself that she was correct when she assumed that the glimmering figure meant they were smart by saying gaining consciousness rather than actually being able to talk.

Remembering the dangerous place that she was, Elysia asked raven to fly and come with her towards the cave she had decided to stay after confirming there was no dangers in it.

When they reached the cave, she quickly skinned the rabbits and rinsed them in a river she saw when she was running away from those roots in the morning.

She gathered dried tree branches and created a fire to roast the rabbit, after eating to her fill, she looked outside the cave at raven who was flying overhead.

The days went by with Elysia and raven, going out to hunt for food and also exploring the forest.

The days they had spent exploring the forest reminded Elysia she severely understimated the gravity of dangers in the place and how careful she had to be.

But she also found out that raven wasn't just any ordinary black bird since she had the darkness element, she could manipulate shadows and travel through it and even take Elysia along, she could also manipulate the minds of others and create fear, but it took quite a toll on her small body, and took a lot of time to recover, so they had both decided that her powers were only to be used in emergency situations.

The powers of raven really helped Elysia in escaping dangerous situations though, since there was little the ability to restore life force could help in defending, while draining life force took a toll on her if she used it too much.