☠︎︎ 1. The Bay of Sorrows ☠︎︎

— Far far beyond the sea

Far far beyond your eyes can see

Broken bones and broken hearts

Lying in the mud of scattered pearls —

Year of our lord 1710 — Bay of Sorrows

"The old wench is already waiting, captain. As if she knew that we were coming."

"She always knows," Kim whispered into the cold air of a gloomy night, watching the mist curling around the shabby-looking wooden shack settled right at the docks, keeping an all-knowing eye on everyone who dared to pass the Bay of Sorrows.

"Tell the folks to get ready. We are mooring," Kim ordered, counting the pearls on the Ruby Red necklace weaved around his fingers. He couldn't lose it, he couldn't drop it, he couldn't let it slip his mind.

Kim closed his eyes.

"One pearl for you

One pearl for me

One pearl for whoever you want it to be

One pearl for you

One pearl for me

One pearl—"

"Captain, we are here!"

Kim opened his eyes. There she was, standing at the door. There she was, waiting to tell him more.

Kim's boots buried themselves deep into the mud as he jumped off his ship, heading straight towards the sharp eyes of the oracle. The closer he was, the more he could feel the unsettling shivers creeping up his body, from the tips of his toes to his neck, cutting off the air he desperately needed for his lungs.

Kim gulped down, nodding in a greeting, "Lady Omnia, a pleasure to meet you again."

"Pleasure is a pleasure until it becomes a rotten apple," the oracle walked back to her shack. One second here, the other there, and before Kim knew it, she already held his hand in hers. The lit candle on the table—the only source of light in the room.

"Accepting a gift from a siren, how foolish of you, little pirate," the oracle's sharp nails clacked on the pearls wrapped around Kim's hand. "One pearl for you, one pearl for me—"

"Cut the crap and tell me what you know!" Kim cut her off. "Why... why I can't stop myself? I must always have the necklace with me. I must! I must! I must! It drives me nuts! You know why, right? So tell me!"

The oracle's sharp eyes flickered, just briefly, just for a fragment of a moment, and then the curve of her lips lifted, "I told you, little pirate. Accepting a gift from a siren was a foolish decision."