☠︎︎ 22. Ocen Vast and Empty ☠︎︎

ruby red bright and red

belongs to you and him since the day you met

it can be used, it can be learned

one of you can touch it, the other might get burned —

"Darlin', talk to me. What's wrong?"

"Turn around," Chay grabbed Kim's shoulders and turned him around. "Nothing's wrong, actually, I think that things just got much better. Look." Chay pointed at something small and red glistening under the moonlight in the small waves near the beach.

"Ruby Red..." Kim whispered in surprise. He looked at Chay, "that's... how...?"

"I gave up a long time ago to guess how that rock works," Chay chuckled.

"Do you think that we can go back now?" Kim asked, his huge smile made Chay's heart melt.

"Let's first have a look to see if it is really our Ruby Red," Chay barely finished the sentence and Kim was already running in front of him towards the ruby.

"Wait! Kim, wait," Chay called after Kim, and once he was right next to Kim, he stopped him from getting to the ruby. "Wait," Chay caught his breath. "We have to get it and immediately get out of the water. I don't want to risk that we will be pulled into your century immediately."

"Why not? You said you want to go back," Kim cupped Chay's cheek, worried eyes looking at him.

Chay smiled and took Kim's hand in his, "don't worry, I do want to go back with you. I just don't want to leave without telling my grandmother again. I didn't even tell her that I would be leaving again. I just want to talk to her first. Is that okay?"

Kim softly laughed and kissed Chay's lips, "yeah... of course, that's okay. God, I'm just so happy that we have Ruby Red back just like that that I... just wasn't thinking for a moment. It makes sense that you would want to talk to your grandmother before leaving."

Chay smirked, "you are cute when you aren't thinking."

"I'm not cute!" Kim huffed. "I am a—"

"One of the most feared pirate captains, yeah, yeah, I know... but here you are in my century, and you are cute to me! Stop arguing with your partner, captain," Chay smacked a loud kiss on Kim's cheek and finally pulled him towards the Ruby Red.

"Go, have a look... but only a look. Remember, you can't touch it," Chay pushed Kim towards the Ruby Red, enjoying how happy Kim looked right at that moment.

Kim kneeled down right next to the ruby and looked back at Chay and with a smile even bigger than before, he said, "it's the one. It's the Ruby Red."

Thank god, Chay thought as he moved Kim out of the water and walked back to the Ruby Red to take it. The Ruby Red appearing out of nowhere like that was much better than them actually trying to steal it during the transport. Planning a robbery was one thing, but actually, successfully executing it would be something entirely different. Chay didn't want to spend god knew how long in prison in case they would be caught. And he didn't even want to think about how they would explain Kim's existence when he wasn't supposed to exist in this century at all. So this, the Ruby Red just appearing out of nowhere was perfect. Almost perfect. He still had to talk to his grandmother about it. Chay knew that she would understand, but he wasn't looking forward to that conversation at all.