☠︎︎ 11. His to Kill ☠︎︎

— hush, a little boy on this moonless night

you aren't alone, there is your pirate

he keeps you safe, he keeps you alive

you just have to be honest, tell no lie —

"I'm not dying on this stupid ship!" Chay mumbled to himself. His hands were trembling. This couldn't be happening. This whole thing was just a nightmare. No way it was happening. No way!

Chay was on the edge of giving up.

And then, when the door finally opened, Chay thought that he was already dead and that heaven finally opened for him. He didn't care about anything, just threw himself at Kim, not even minding the pistol that Kim was holding. He clutched Kim's shirt tightly. He was murmuring so fast and relentlessly that he wasn't even sure if Kim understood him, but that didn't matter, what mattered was that he was safe now. Kim was finally there. He would save him, right? He would.

"He, he wants to kill me. Kim, don't... don't let him kill m-me, please."

"Don't hide, matey," the voice from Chay's nightmares again, and all Chay wanted was for it to shut up forever. "How do you want to stay on the ship when you are crying already?"

"Enough!" Kim shouted, his voice bouncing off the sails and getting lost in the vast open sea. He looked at Chay and pulled him into his cabin, "stay here!"

"Kim, he really wanted to—"

"I know," Kim grunted, and then, something flickered in his eyes, something that Chay for a moment thought was a concern. Kim's fingers glided up Chay's neck and cupped Chay's chin, "blood... what exactly did he do to you?"

"I—" Chay gulped down, going through everything that happened. He was scared. Scared that maybe he had overreacted. Maybe Kim would laugh at him if Chay told him what happened. But it didn't even matter if Kim would laugh or not as long as he would never see that man again.

"I woke up... he was already on top of me. He pressed the dagger to my neck. And it... it hurt. It was... it was... it was... he wanted to kill me. He said that I did something to you, so that's why you brought me on the ship. He wanted me to tell him everything, and when I got away from him..." Chay looked at his trembling hands—they were covered in blood, but somehow they didn't hurt so much. "I—I pushed him away, and I wanted to get to you. I called for you but you weren't coming and... and he said he'll kill me..."

"Let's make something clear, dear Porchay," Kim let go of Chay and grabbed a sabre from his desk, "I'm the only one who can kill you!"

The door shut behind Kim and Chay just kept standing there, looking at the door, absorbing the fact that he was still alive, and that 'I'm the only one who can kill you' line that Kim dropped before he left.