☠︎︎ 8. The Pirate Code ☠︎︎

— the pirate code you must know well

recite it as a spell

breaking it you must not

fear the death you should a lot —

Cold.

Wet.

It splashed on Chay's face, immediately pulling him out of the safety of his dreams. In his dream, the Ruby Red necklace was still untouched, adorning his neck, the pearls shimmering under the settling sun. And Chay was standing on a deck; the ship was mighty, her majestic body effortlessly sailing through the seas. There was no one else on the ship that Chay could see, but he could feel it in his bones—he would never again be alone.

The sun was hot on his skin until the water the coldness made him feel.

Chay sat up almost immediately. The droplets of water were dripping down the tips of his hair to the bridge of his nose and kissed his cheeks.

He took a deep breath and glared at Kim, "what's your problem?"

"Your lazy ass is my problem," Kim fastened the belt with weapons around his hips. "Get up. We gotta go!"

"So you had to splash water at me? Couldn't you just shake my shoulders or," Chay smirked, "give me a sweet kiss?"

Kim huffed an amused laugh, "you should be thankful. That was the last clear water we had."

"And you wasted it on—" Chay shook his head and got out of the bed. "Whatever... where are we going?"

"We are going to the Tavern to ask if anyone heard about or saw the Reckoning or the crew."

"Can't we just call them?" Chay immediately rolled his eyes at himself. Yeah, Chay, sure you can—the newest iPhone just dropped. Surely, Kim has it!

There was this look again. The same kind of look that Kim had when Chay mentioned the elephant in the room. And Chay thought—fair! At this point, there were bigger chances that Chay would get Kim to think that he is crazy than to get Kim to fall in love with him.

"Call?" that one simple word left Kim's mouth.

Chay sighed, "I mean, send a message."

"Sending a message?"

"Yeah, you know," Chay started wildly gesticulating with his hands, "by messenger."