☠︎︎ 16. Red in the Ocean Blue ☠︎︎

— this ship's my home, this ship's my queen

it's the best place you could have ever seen

despite the ghosts and lost heads

this ship's our home, yours and mine above else —

"A meme?" Chay repeated before he laughed. He was expecting a serious question. Something about their relationship or something about the time travelling... but no, it was about a meme.

"Well," Chay stopped laughing so he could try to explain, "a meme is basically a funny picture."

"Funny picture?"

"Yeah... um... it's just to make people laugh... never meant to be taken seriously," Chay chuckled. "You know, if one day somehow we end up travelling back to my time—I'll show you."

"Funny picture," Kim mumbled under his breath, shaking his head.

"Trust me, that's the least weird thing about the 21st century," Chay said and stood up, reaching out his hand to help Kim stand up as well. "You wanted to show me around?"

Kim took Chay's hand and smiled, "I do, but before we start," Kim's smile disappeared. "The next time you hear a woman's voice, trying to lure you somewhere, anywhere, don't go. Whatever you do, don't follow that voice. If I'm not around, go look for me. And if I am around just stay by my side. It can be hard not to follow that voice, especially the first couple of times you encounter it, but if you are strong enough, you can push through it." Kim cupped Chay's cheek, "and you have to be strong enough, Chay. Sirens are awful creatures. They take you and they never let you go. Or they do let you go, but they make you do something you don't want to. Just like they made me accept the Ruby Red from them, with the curse and everything that followed. So, don't go near them, ever. Promise me you won't."

Chay thought about what had happened on the Scorpion not so long ago. It was strange because he didn't remember much. All he knew was that he heard that soft gentle voice to which he was unable to refuse anything. He remembered his body moving. He even knew that he was going to jump off the ship, but he wasn't scared or disturbed by it. He wanted to do it because the voice told him to. That sweet voice... He felt that he could do everything and anything that sweet voice would tell him to do. It was as if he had lost all the control over himself. And he didn't want it back. He only realized what he had almost done when he felt Kim's arms around him. And suddenly, he was scared, so scared... terrified. What did he almost do?

All he knew now was that he never wanted to go through something like that ever again. He wanted to forget that it ever happened. Wanted his body to erase that feeling and his mind to erase those thoughts. He heard about sirens before. Who didn't? They were part of the folklore, of pirates' legends, of the supernatural... but encountering them in real life, to feel their power on his own being... they were way far more terrifying than the stories could capture.