☠︎︎ 14. The Call of a Siren ☠︎︎

— when the ocean's dark

and there seems to be no light

close your eyes and feel the air

you may come across something rare —

"Stay right here!" Kim ordered, already lifting Porchay up from his lap and grabbing his sabre.

"I want to know what's going on," Porchay protested, strolling after Kim when Kim made his way towards the door.

Kim turned around on his heels and grabbed Chay's shoulders, his touch firm and tight, and his eyes shrouded in concern, "you won't get out on that deck until I know that it's safe for you. I'm not gonna argue about this. Stay here!"

Kim didn't wait for Chay to argue with him again. He quickly opened the door and stepped outside into the pure chaos. Every inch of the Scorpion was drenched in water. The deck was covered in shells and dead fish. The crew was holding onto anything and everything they could so that another ocean wave wouldn't sweep them away the moment it would hit the ship again. The sky turned grey, almost black as if it was night again, and no matter where Kim looked, he couldn't see the horizon or much of anything else either.

"What is bloody hell happening here?" Kim shouted, carefully moving up the stairs towards the ship's wheel.

"We have entered the Bay of Sorrows, captain," Arm replied, water dripping down his clothes and creating a pool under his feet.

"I can see that," Kim scoffed, assessing the situation. "But what happened? Why is everything so wet and..." Kim grabbed a dead fish that was stuck in the wheel and threw it back into the ocean, "...fishy?"

"We got hit by three giant consecutive waves the moment the Scorpion entered the area. No idea where they came from, but you must have felt them when they hit us."

Kim hummed, "yeah, I did. But I heard something else as well... there was a woman screaming..."

"Siren," Arm breathed out, his posture, turning slightly more tense, eyes nervously skipping from one side of the ship to the other.

"Siren?" Kim frowned. "Those treacherous creatures are the last thing that we need here right now."

"I think it won't be much of a problem," Arm tried to ease the situation. "The crew had already come in contact with sirens. We know how to fight against them now."

A shiver of terror ran through Kim's body, he turned towards the direction of his cabin, "not every one of us came into contact with a Siren before."

Kim ran down the stairs and turned to his cabin, but Chay wasn't there anymore. No. Instead, Chay was at the edge of the ship, stepping over the railing—his body ready, willing to jump, to follow the alluring melody of the Siren.