Chapter 36

~Flashback~
Shikoku was seen walking as she passed by various cages. Each one holding a girl that had devoured a peach. All of them had a soulless look in their eyes. However, as she passed by each of them, she noticed they all had the same reason behind their despair. They were nothing more than lab rats.

"Can a human mate and produce an offspring with shuuki? What a ridiculous notion. Though watching those humans struggle so much for an answer is amusing to see, so sneaking in here might be worth while."

As Shikoku said this, she noticed how there was one girl sitting inside the corner of her cell. The girl had black hair in a thick braid tied with a light-colored ribbon down her back and a loose fringe over her forehead. Her eyes were a shade of dark blue similar to her younger brother. Her dark red kimono and hakama torn as if something ripped them.

 Her dark red kimono and hakama torn as if something ripped them

"........"

"Excuse me, did I do something wrong again?"

"What is your name, human?"

"Tomioka, Tomioka Tsutako."

"I see, well then. Depending on how you answer, you may live after today or not. Tell me, what is your story?"

~Meanwhile~
Outside of the facility where Tsutako and the girls were being held, numerous amount of boys were seen breaking rocks or picking up leftover body parts of shuuki nearby. The people captured here are victims that were suddenly transported into Mato. While the girls were held inside of the facility to be tested, the boys were tasked with dangerous chores since they had no powers and would be useless to the experiment otherwise.

"The results of the brides are in. Nearly most of them either lost the will to live, became a vegetable, or killed themselves just because they couldn't handle the task. Worthless! Most of these brides are worthless, just like the human debris out here!"

A woman was seen angry with the results as she threw her clipboard at a nearby boy's head. She was a woman with an average build as she had a black dotted snake tattoo going down both her arms. Her facial features consists of eyes containing yellow irises with black pupils, and blonde hair arranged in a spiked style, with two long strands extending downwards framing either side of her face, that entwine each other like a caduceus' snake to rest upon her chest.

"Well I guess there's a few human debris and a couple of brides who are of use."