Chapter Two

I'm in a great mood as I enter Lockhart & Co

There's a tingling sensation in my spine that travels down to my fingertip. I get it whenever I have a good feeling about something. My fingers tingle like something is so close that I can almost reach it.

I'm pretty sure we're finally going to close the deal today.

After all those late nights with Cassie working on presentations, reviewing proposals, and coming up with better conditions that are still attractive to the other party, I can feel we're ready to move past this and finalize the deal with very beneficial conditions for both parties.

I nod at the men at the front desk and strut to the elevators. The lobby is brimming with people running everywhere, needing to go out for a meeting with a client, or looking for packages at the front desk.

I move to the left and lean against the wall as I wait for one of the busy elevators to reach the first floor.

While waiting, I take my phone out to answer a few emails, though the task is harder than usual since I'm holding a cup of coffee in one hand.

It is aggravating that no matter how much time I dedicate to answering emails, my inbox remains with too many unread messages all the time. I could dedicate an entire day solely to replying to emails and still wouldn't be done with the staggering pile. The more I reply, the more emails I get. It's an endless mystery that is going to be worse once my father retires and I have to step up as CEO of Lockhart and Co.

I'm so distracted by my phone and the noise in the lobby that I don't hear the ring of the elevator arriving until someone speaks.

"Good morning, Mr. Lockhart," The tone is feminine and high, and I nod as I step inside.

"Good morning," I answer without looking away from my phone too focused on some numbers that the finance department sent me to review.

Sometimes I question how my father manages to keep control of everything without developing a headache. I've been so focused on this deal that whenever new information that I need to check arrives, it feels like a whiplash trying to catch up.

The ride up is filled with numbing chatter that I ignore. By the time we reach the last floor, I shove my phone into my pocket and look up.

The hairs on my arms and back rise while my heart begins to stutter in my chest with anticipation.

I walk out of the elevator and to the last floor, greeting everyone with a curt nod andMorning.Some people stop working to greet me while others mumble theirgood morningand continue typing on their computers.

I make sure everything looks under control on this level.

However, when I spot Cassie at the back of the office by her desk, all my attention zeroes in on her.