Chapter Thirteen

I take one quick break to grab some coffee, and by the time I'm back to my desk, I find Carter sitting in it

I halt in my tracks. My heart suddenly starts pounding hard against my chest as I watch my ex-fiancé in my seat, rubbing a hand through his jaw in an act of impatience.

Just the sight of him twists all my organs into a ball. I'm paralyzed, taken off guard at finding him here on this floor at my desk.

When I told Ryder I wanted to come back to work, I felt sure and confident. I felt stronger and recharged after spending an entire weekend with him and his calming and powerful attention. I wanted to return to my normal life. Or as normal as it could get.

I've been meticulous in my tracks, trying to stay on this last floor to avoid crossing paths with Carter. It was wishful thinking believing he wouldn't seek me out.

It's like Carter senses I'm staring at him because he sighs and shifts in my seat before turning his gaze directly to me.

He straightens when he sees me and rises from my seat, silent. His movements are slow, as though he's afraid to scare me.

He isn't wrong. My legs are burning with the urge to run far away from him. I don't want to see his stupid face, much less hear what he has to say. However, I've decided to keep a calm facade and move on. The fact that seeing him right now doesn't make me want to curl into a ball or make me feel as though I'm drowning only strengthens my belief that I can let go of him and the life he represented.

It gives me hope that I'm not going to fall back on his lies.

I walk to my desk, intent on ignoring him and going on with my day. I need my computer since I have a meeting in ten minutes. Besides, I don't have anything to say to him, but to leave me alone.

"Cass," He whispers once I'm within earshot. My jaw clenches at the tenderness in his tone but I ignore his stare and go to grab my computer.

However, before I can completely ignore him, he grabs my wrist and stops me.

"Let go, Carter," I growl, raising my glare to him.

He's unperturbed by my glare and exhales. His grip is steadfast on my wrist. "I've been driving myself crazy, wondering where you were."

"Leave me alone, Carter. It's over."

"I don't understand," He runs a hand through his hair. I hate the fact that he's making me talk in front of the entire floor. Everyone is quiet, paying attention to us. I dread the rumors that would come afterward. "You haven't picked up my calls or my texts. I found your ring on the coffee table. Then, some guys come over and demand that I return your belongings. I don't understand what's going on. What happened? Why did you suddenly leave? Where were you?"

His eyes are wide in confusion. A bitter chuckle bubbles in my throat but I hold it back. My head shakes in disbelief instead. I don't know if he's pretending to be befuddled or if he genuinely has no idea I caught him cheating on me.