Chapter Twenty-Two

"Hey

"Hey."

"Hey," My brother's voice comes from the other side of the phone, his tone hesitant. "Bad timing? You sound distracted?"

"No, it's fine. We can talk. I was in a meeting, that's all," I reassure him.

Of course I sound distracted. I have been distracted for the past two hours, attending a meeting I didn't pay a fuck of attention to because I was fantasizing about almost kissing the girl of my dreams. I've been fantasizing about how it would have been hadn't we been interrupted.

For a moment there, I was close to tasting heaven. And then, reality came crashing down on me like cold water. I almost snapped at Erika for interrupting, however, before I could do anything, Cassie slipped from my office without a second glance.

I curse my crazy schedule since I haven't been able to seek her and make sure the interruption didn't spook her. Instead, I've been hearing Erika drone on and on for the past two hours about some project she's handling under my supervision.

To be honest, I don't care much about any of it. There wasn't much progress in the construction or sales. I didn't understand why she even bothered to come over and prattle on and on. And for two fucking hours.

I have more important things to do like kissing my favorite assistant.

And now that I finally got rid of Erika, I got a phone call from my brother. Though to be fair, I wasn't annoyed at seeing his name flashing on my phone's screen.

Matteo lives in Germany, doing his Master's degree in finances and business intelligence. The guy is a genius, winning a full scholarship in one of the most competitive and amazing universities out there.

Since he's packed with papers, investigations, and mentoring, and there's a huge time difference between us, we barely talk. So, whenever he calls me, I make sure to pick it up and give up whatever I'm doing.

There are five people in this world I would stop anything I was doing to give them my full attention and run to help them and one of them is Matteo. No questions asked.

Besides, I miss my little brother and couldn't be prouder of him. I love hearing his excitement through his voice at all the crazy stuff he's doing. The guy is amazing and deserves everything coming his way.

"Crazy work week?" Matteo asks me. I can imagine the smile on his face.

"Not as crazy as yours must be. How's it going there? Any exciting breakthroughs in your investigation?" I ask. Though I understand half of what he's doing, I get as excited about his achievements as though they were my own.

"Nothing exciting but everything is coming along," He explains. "I have a feeling we're soon going to conclude the investigation which means I'll be done..."

"Done with..." I trail off, unsure of what he's talking about. His degree? The investigation so he can move on to a new one? Or does it mean he's going to find a job in the industry or investigation field instead?