Chapter Six

My colorful and hideous mug slides onto my desk first thing in the morning

My colorful and hideous mug slides onto my desk first thing in the morning. Bright and early.

Instantly, I lift my face and connect my stare with Cassie's. I didn't hear her coming into my office, probably because my head is pounding with a headache from hell.

Last night I decided to go out to a bar to get tipsy again as I've been doing for the entire week after work. I needed to numb and distract myself before I got to my lonely apartment. I needed to get rid of thoughts of Cassie at her own home, with her new fiancé, blowing off the steam from the day.

The mere thought of Carlton kissing Cassie makes my entire body shaky and hot with fury. I'm tempted to track him down and punch him.

But last night, it didn't stop at drinking and talking to the barman about loving a woman who was out of your reach. No, I had to take out my cell phone to text her.

A big, jealous part of me was hopeful to steal her attention for a brief second away from her fiancé.

And last night, when she decided to call me upon seeing my text, I couldn't resist the chance. Something soothed inside me upon hearing her silky voice. It felt dreamy and invigorating at the same time. It felt as though I was able to breathe again.

I've been missing spending time with her like crazy but whenever I see her engagement ring, my gut twists painfully and my skin burns.

Besides, I'm actually scared of asking her to stay until late because I have a feeling that I won't be able to bite my tongue for long regarding my complaining thoughts about her getting married to that fucker, and end up fighting with her. The times I've asked her about him, she's been nonchalant, but it's been simple questions. I'm scared I might say something wrong or ask too much she'd feel as if I'm pushing her and end up making her defensive.

The objections and questions have been bubbling in my chest, ready to be released at any moment, and I know how protective she can be. Her relationship with Calvin might be far from perfect and ideal, but she's unwilling to get rid of it because she feels secure in it.

So, I've been working hard during the day with no time to have a decent lunch, expectant that I don't have to stay until late. But this means that I haven't been able to talk much to Cassie. I've been keeping her running everywhere for paperwork or working on various projects.

This morning, her brown eyes are soft as she looks down at me with a small smile that sends my heart racing. The air is knocked out of my lungs at how beautiful she looks with her wavy hair down and a white shirt and skirt that hug her tantalizing curves.

I have to fight back the urge to check her out with my hungry eyes. When I got to my office earlier, I didn't spot her, so I haven't had my fill of her yet.

"Good morning, boss," She says in her sultry, silky voice that causes goosebumps all over my skin.

"Hey, Cassie," I mutter, acting as if I'm not salivating over her adorable smile and Jazmin perfume.