Chapter Four

Normally, I don't pay attention to the idle chatter in the elevator on the way up to my office

Normally, I don't pay attention to the idle chatter in the elevator on the way up to my office. I don't care much about gossip and what people were up to on their time off. I take every single spare minute to reply to messages and emails, and catching up on the elevator is nice and efficient.

But on Monday, something piques my attention and leaves me unable to focus on the unread messages on my phone.

"Did you hear?" Jessica from the HR department begins in a low voice. She's close to me so I'm able to overhear her words. "Carter proposed to Cassandra over the weekend."

"Really?" Someone asks, surprised. She gasps as I stop typing and take in what Jessica said.

It can't be right.

I scowl at my phone, feeling my heart starting to race in my chest. The loud thuds hammer against my ear.

"About time," The other woman says with a chuckle. "They've been dating for what? 5 years?"

"4," Jessica supplies with a nod. "A nice couple."

"How did he propose?"

"Carter said something about a surprise, romantic dinner," Jessica goes on and I'm fighting back the questions that are bubbling in my throat. I want to demand all of the details. And more importantly, what was Cassandra's answer.

One thing is Christian proposing to her. Another thing is that he proposed, and Cassie agreed to it.

Our conversation on Friday over drinks haunted me throughout the weekend. When she snorted at the idea of giving someone else a chance, I almost shook her and demanded that she should give me a chance.

I can make you feel comfortable and secure too. I treat you with respect and kindness. I can give you every fucking thing Carl already gives to you and more. You just have to ask for it and I can give you the entire world. You have no idea how much I love you and what I'm willing to do for you. I just need a chance to prove it to you.

I bit my tongue back then, just as I am doing right now.

My breaths turn shallower. It's like there isn't enough air in this small elevator.

Jessica takes her phone out and shows something to the woman. "Look."

I manage to get a glimpse. It is Cassandra with the loser. She's smiling at the camera with a raised hand. A ring is snuggled in her left hand.

The funny thing is that it is the loser who posted the photo. Cassandra never shared the news with anyone, much less posted something about getting engaged. I would have known it, I like to check on her social profiles from time to time, especially when I'm lonely during the weekends and miss her radiant smile.

The air is knocked out of my system and something bitter forms in the back of my mouth.

She fucking agreed to the proposal.