Chapter Twenty-Six

Bullshit

Bullshit.

My day darkens in the blink of an eye. I woke up excited, feeling at the top of the world because I had the girl of my dream bare and pressed against me. She subconsciously tilted her body, seeking my warmth and scent. The small gesture melted my heart.

As I watched her sleep next to me, my head was spinning.

I love you. I love you so much.

And then, it felt like free-falling down a cliff with rocky waters underneath.

On the way to work, I'm fuming. My steps slap against the pavement with force.

The only reason I haven't exploded yet is because Cassie's holding my hand and whenever she senses my head is going to dark places, thinking about the fuckers who mistreated her and spread ugly rumors about her, she gives my hand a squeeze that grounds me.

I promised her I would only warn my employees, but I'm tempted to fire them anyway. The only issue is that I don't know who they are.

I'm furious at myself for not noticing this before. I should have realized she was tensed around someone. Every time she was down and quieter than usual, I believed it was because of Calvin. The guy had no idea how to keep her happy.

I was wrong. There was more than an unfulfilling relationship.

This time though, I'll pay attention. I'll keep my eyes on everyone. If something feels amiss, I won't hesitate before firing their asses. No pleading will stop me.

These assholes better have a change of heart and start treating my sweetheart with all respect and dignity she deserves or else.

The protective emotions I have for Cassandra aren't logical.

I don't care if they are the best employees at Lockhart & Co., if they mistreat or say a bad thing about my girl, they will regret it. I don't know how much Cassie already believes about the nasty rumors, but I won't allow them to affect her more. She deserves to know she's amazing and worthy of everything. She has worked so hard.

At this point, they should be grateful Cassie is protecting them by pleading I don't fire them. Hell, fucking Carlson remains working in my fucking company because my girl has a big heart and would rather not mix personal life with professional.

I'm biding my time before the fucker fucks up so I can fire him for good. Any small mistake and he's kissing his work goodbye.

But for now, I have to bite my tongue.

Meanwhile, I'm having a hard time not mixing personal with professional business.

I want to wrap my arms around Cassandra and glue her to my side so I can keep an eye on her and make sure no one touches one hair from her head again. I might also be tempted to do that because her body flush against mine is soft and lovely. It is intoxicating to have her close, next to me and buried deep inside her tight channel.