Chapter Twenty-One

I throw another longing glance at Ryder's office

My legs are tingling with the need to rise from my desk and march into his office to talk to him. Talk about anything since I don't have any work-related thing to tell or ask him.

In fact, we don't have to talk, I want to bask in his presence, that's all. Being near him fills me with peace and energy. He oozes confidence and warmth, a safe place to go to.

It doesn't matter that in a couple of hours I'll be going home and spending the rest of the night with him watching movies, eating take-outs, or simply talking about anything. I still ache for him. I crave his company and his words and smiles. I start missing him from the moment he has me in his arms each morning for a hug.

I'm addicted to Ryder Lockhart.

Which is ridiculous after spending almost all waking hours together. Yet, I can't help myself.

I want him. I long to bask in his radiant smile and soulful eyes. I want to taste his lips and lick his muscled and packed body. I want to tangle my fingers in his wavy hair and tug at it hard as he presses his hard body against me.

It is a matter of time before I give in. At this point, I know I want to give us a chance, yet the fear of what others would say is stopping. However, I feel I won't be able to resist him for long.

Imagining what it would feel like to date Ryder Lockhart haunts me at night. If he can be this generous and sweet just being a friend, I can't imagine how he would do once his entire attention and desire is set on you.

It sends hot thrills down my legs and leaves me breathless.

Soon, my want for Ryder would surpass my fear of what people at Lockhart & Co. say.

Ever since he admitted liking me, my fear has weakened and the urge to run to him has increased.

I haven't stopped running those words through my head. It feels surreal. It sounds farfetched, yet with every action, I'm able to see clearly for once.

The hugs we share each morning and night before going to bed are longer and tighter with each passing day, neither of us is willing to let go of the other. The way he can't help but keep his hand on my back as he walks me to work or how he loves to sneak in and press his chest against my back while I'm cooking breakfast or dinner. It's like he has a need to keep me near him, within arm's reach. His need to stop whatever he's doing to pay attention to me and his smiles that seem to belong mainly to me. The soft way he says my name, brimmed with tenderness and care, or the new nickname he bestowed upon me that melts my poor little heart.

It is all clear.

I can't believe I didn't see it before. In my defense, I didn't think there could be a reality in which a man like Ryder would be remotely interested in me. Yet there is.

The thought brings a rushing heat down to my chest and stomach. It curls, making goosebumps to prickle in my skin.

Without realizing it, I'm blushing in the middle of the office.