• ~ Thirty Seven ~ •

Chapter 37: Opening Night

It was opening night. Panic was flooding through my body. My parents and Dylan were going to be here. Who knew who else.

I had called Kit.

"Hey Lex. How are you doing? I know tonight's the big night."

"Baby, I'm freaking out."

"You'll do great Lex. I promise. I'm rooting for you."

"Fuck. I can't be freaking out when you're saying super sweet things."

Kit had chuckled when there was a knock on my dressing room door.

"Alexia, 5 minutes."

"Okay thank you." I took a deep breath. "I'll call you once I'm done."

"Please do. You're gonna do great. I promise."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It was going well. I had finished my future husband meaning it was time for Feather. The crowd was full of spirit. I could tell some of them were there for me specifically.

"Oh, it's like that, I'm your dream come true
When it's on a platter for you. Then you pull back, when I try to make plans. More than two hours in advance, mm-mm."

"I slam the door, I hit ignore. I'm saying, "No, no, no, no more". I got you blocked after this, an afterthought. I finally cut you off."

"I feel so much lighter like a feather with you off my mind, ah. Floating through the memories like whatever, you're a waste of time, ah. Your signals are mixed, you act like a bitch. You fit every stereotype, send a pic. I feel so much lighter like a feather with you out my life. With you out my life."

The crowd was singing along. It was amazing. After a few more songs I was into my acoustic section of my show.

I connected my microphone to the stand.

"Alright. I've got something a little different for you all. We've got the acoustic section of the show."

I had grabbed my guitar and the crowd started cheering.

"I wrote this song on the more recent side. This song is one of the songs I am most proud of. This one is called Die First."

"You're all I ever wanted. So, how come I'm still haunted by the thoughts inside my head? You love me but no matter what you say, There's only one of two ways that this is gonna end. Someone dies or someone gets hurt, But if one of us dies."

"I hope I die first 'Cause I don't wanna live without you. I don't wanna ever learn How to fall asleep without you. Tell me what's worse
Losing you now or later?Maybe I can break the curse. And I can be in love forever, If I die."

"You're my fire and my safety. You never mean to break me, And that's why I'm afraid
'Cause someday, everybody's leaving. You promise that you'll stay, But that's a promise you can't make. Someone dies or someone gets hurt
But if one of us dies."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I had finished my part of the show. The last song of the entire show was That's Not How This Works.

Charlie started playing the piano and the crowd started going crazy. They knew I was coming back out for it.

Charlie had sung his verse first and I walked out singing mine.

"Stop reminding me of when we said forever
I know exactly what you're doing. When you say you need to drop off all my sweaters. It's just one of your excuses."