Twenty Three

Jeremiah groaned. He was in a black shirt and jeans with a vest and sneakers. It all felt weird, being in new fresh cloths. His hair was gelled back till nothing stood out and in his hands was a fancy glass. He was in the middle of a black market auction, and all eyes were on him. By his side at all times was Furner who was introducing him to a lot of people he had zero interest in. He'd been taken for many black market auctions, but this time was different. He didn't like different. He detested it so much. He didn't understand why Furner had taken him here, on top of that given him new cloths and bothered to let him have a bath. He'd personally done his hair too. It made no sense.

Behind him was the rest of Group Phase, together with Aria, who he constantly kept an eye on. They were all dressed to impress like he was and he still didn't get it. He seemed to be the only one Furner was interested in though as he had his hand around Jeremiah's shoulder and guiding him like he was his own son. Funny thing was both Michael and Lilith were present in the auction, though they were relating with other people around; probably old friends. He locked gazes with Lilith once in a while and the confused look she gave him, made it clear she didn't know what was going on too. They'd talked before the auction, but barely and she'd said something about Furner mentioning a huge sale, but nothing more. He still tried to make sense of it.

It had been a week since she'd turned to their side and the reason was a short yet valid one.

"I'm here so I can join you... for mum and me. She doesn't want to be involved in all of this either... so please... promise us your protection. We are weak when compared to you,"

When he'd heard the words from her mouth there was honest pain in them. He didn't fully trust her, but he'd given her his word in exchange for information.

Furner finally left him alone and he let out a relieved breath immediately turning to his group. Al raised a brow and Delhi patted Aria's head. Group Phase had a number or five people on it. They'd been more, but they'd either been caught and killed in their heists or sold out.

"Chap... what the heck is going on?" Al asked in a hushed tone, voicing the question in the air. He was the most confident in the whole group. He was the only one who could talk back at Jeremiah. Delhi nodded and pursed her lips in a grim line, finding her voice.

"The dresses, this place, Aria being here...? Why aren't we on the stage?" Delhi stated.

"If I knew the answers to that, I'd very happily share it, but I do not know," Jeremiah stated harshly. Then he sighed and looked at Aria who was staring around with wide eyes. He bent down to her height and she looked at him, smiling. He gave her a weary smile back, "Our main goal is to keep Aria safe," He straightened out, "Al, you're in charge of that if anything happens to me,"

"A'ight, no problem," Al said, enthusiastically. Jeremiah's gaze fell on the twins, Mina and Manu who waited for their orders; they were both always quiet and spoke very little, and they proved amazing for stealth, always ready to improvise.

"Keep an eye on both of them and also on Lilith... something is off," They nodded and he looked at Delhi, "You are coming with me; I might end up needing backup,"

"Okay," Delhi stated

"Be careful, all of you and take any information you can get," Jeremiah continued, trying to calm his nerves as he rubbed his hands on the overly expensive jeans on his scrawny legs.

"There you are," Furner's voice snapped them all out of their trance of nervousness and to him. He draped a hand around Jeremiah's shoulder and Jeremiah flinched before reluctantly following the man. He turned to look at the set of children and a sudden dread filled him.