NEW GIRL - CHRIS

2 months ago...

" i just need a place. My boyfriend cheated on me and i cant stay on campus." I overshare, 3 startled expressions looking back at me. " um yeah of course." The boy with cherry red hair smiles ever so slightly. I smile and rub my palms against my clothed knees.

" whatever." The boy with the shaggy hair says and leans back. Okay? Rude. I look to the last boy, a kind expression on his face and he bursts out into a smile.

" when can you move in?" He asks standing up. I smile and jump up. " right now? My car is full." I say, my hands twitching.

" perfect, ill help you unload." He says and the other two boys follow us down the hall. As we stand for the elevator i learn Nick is the oldest, matt is the middle and Chris is the youngest.

" our older brother Justin used to live here but moved out and we just need some help with the rent." Chris laughs and i nod. " well i got money." I smile. The elevator stays silent until Nick smirking sets everyone off.

It only takes a couple of trips up and down to collect all the boxes. Unluckily we're on the top floor. It only takes me an hour ish to unpack all the boxes and put up everything i have. I dont know how long I'll be here for. Hopefully not long. I already think Chris hates me.

It's after dinner and theres a pounding on the door. " the fuck." Chris says to himself and opens the door to an angry ex boyfriend. " Jake? What are you doing here." I ask, crossing the living room to the door. " whats going on? Come on we're leaving." He says, trying to grab onto my wrist before i can pull away. " no, im not going anywhere." I say. He rolls his eyes.

" stop being dramatic, lets go. I wont tell you again." He spits, his cheeks turning redder and redder. " hey buddy, just go." Chris says and tries to corner him into leaving. " dude, this is my girl. Dont tell me to go." He spits, looking Chris up and down.

" Shes not your girl, if she was your girl you would treat her with the respect she deserves. And theres the fucking door so you can leave." Chris raises his voice, a slight Boston accent peeping through. " who the fuck are you?" Jake spits. " im the guy telling you to get the fuck outta my house." He yells, pushing at jakes chest. Nick puts a hand on my elbow and stands with me.

" Just leave man." Matt says and Jake sighs and walks off. " fuck you Aimee." He yells and tears spring to my eyes. I wipe them away before they fall down my cheek and as soon as the door clicks shut all three boys turn to look at me. " thank you Chris." I say and wrap my arms around him, his arms sit tightly at his side and then he wraps them around my waist.

" im going to go and cry myself to sleep listening to all to well on loop. Goodnight."
I laugh to myself and they look at me with confused faces. I smile and walk to my room, i put my headphones on and turn the song on, i lay on my bed and under the covers.

Now...

" who ever keeps using my hair mask will die." I yell and turn on the shower, as it's warming up i brush my teeth. I need to be on campus in 30 minutes for a lecture, and im the master of rushing around and still being on time, i dont know how i do it half the time.

" i told you i cant help my hair always looks good." Chris says, i laugh as im shampooing my hair. This seems weird but I've become really close with Chris, i love them all but Chris will always be my favourite. " hurry, you're going to be late." He laughs. " trust me i wont." I laugh.

I put on some jeans and a hoodie and grab my bag for college. I grab my keys off the hook at the front door and drive to campus.

I get to my lecture with 10 minutes and i get a good seat. Jake sits a couple of rows behind me. We never really became civil but he dosent look at me with an angry expression anymore. I log onto my computer and the teacher strolls in with a smile on her face.

After class i always head to the coffee shop thats 5 minutes away to get a latte. Im always behind on sleep so my coffee helps me get through my shift.

I go back to the apartment to change into my work uniform, i pick up a couple of shifts at the local diner. Its just for extra money to help with food and rent.

" wheres my apron?" I ask, matts sat on the sofa typing away on his computer, i lift every pillow and i cant find it. " it's there." He murmurs. " where?" I ask. He lifts his arm lazily and points to the coat hook with nothing on but my apron.

" matt i love you." I smile and wrap it around my waist. " woah, what in the wattpad." Nick jokes and i laugh. " okay i gotta go. Usual for dinner?" I ask. " please bae." Nick says. I smile and grab my keys.

The days i usually work nights i bring home food for dinner. Its half off for staff so i cant complain. I walk through the door and the bell above the frame chimes and my co worker Maddie smiles when i walk in. " thank god, i have to go. You'll be fine it's not been that busy." She smiles and claps a hand on my shoulder. I clock in and start serving tables, im sipping some water when a boy my age sits across the counter looking up and down a menu.

I look up and recognise his messy blonde hair from my English class. " oh hey Aimee." He says as he looks up and sees me. " hey Darren." I say, he puts the menu down and orders a coke and then a cheese burger. " coming right up." I say and give him a rolled up knife and fork and salt and pepper. 

Another table is trying to grab my attention to order. " oh, duty calls." He jokes and i laugh and cross the diner.

I hear the bell for the kitchen and i know it's Darren's burger. It's dead here, only him and a table of four. I set the burger down and he thanks me.

" how long have you been here." He asks. " like a month and a half, just to help with rent and food." I explain, he nods and takes a bite out of his burger.

I take his empty plate back and the table of four leave and i get a hefty 4 dollar tip. Darren pays and leaves me 10 bucks. I smile. " thank you." I say.

" i know this might be a long shot, but maybe wanna get dinner?" He asks. " not here." He adds. I laugh and nod. " of course, just text me whenever." I say. " i dont have your number." He says and his fingers are almost white from holding his phone so tight. I take the phone and put in my number.

" okay, ill text you. Thanks for the burger." He says. I smile and clean up the diner to go home, i grab my to go boxes and head to my car.

I get in and hand out the food, Chris senses my smile and looks at me funny. " whats up with you." He asks. " this guy Darren from my english class asked me out." I say. His smile drops but i dont think anything of it.

" thats cool." Nick says and matt puts a thumb up, his mouth full of cheese burger. " yeah, he's nice. Not like Jake. Im exited." I say. Chris stands and walks off. " im going to head to bed. Early class tomorrow." He says, i smile and he closes his door. Whats up with him?