Broken promises - Nick (1)

10 years ago:

He was laying with his head on my shoulder and i had my arm wrapped around him. We had spent all summer together. As "friends". But i knew we had passed friends ages ago.

Id known bailey since i was 10 and he was 11, he had just turned 11 but he always liked to remind me he was older. I just laughed and shrugged him off. We were all friends but he's always told me he has a soft spot for me.

It was the summer of when we were 17 when the promise was made. " i promise I'll never break your heart." He said to me, i was sat on his sweatshirt on the beach, the sun was setting and the air was cold but he gave it to me as soon as he saw me shiver.

" i wont break your heart either." I repeated. It made my stomach flip, the thought of loving a boy so much he promises not to break my heart. He smiled and grabbed my hand.

That night after dark he grabbed my hand and walked me to my room. I stood at my door and he looked at my face as if there was specks of dirt on it. I thought momentarily, what if he kisses me? It didn't matter because he didn't.

The rest of the week was so intense, but the second we got home and graduated we didn't speak for 10 years. 10 whole fucking years.

Now:

It was Friday night, Which means Abby and Gabe come over to watch romance movies, per Abby's request obviously. Although some of them aren't bad. Nick and matt usually head to their rooms or play xbox in one of their rooms.

Abby grabs a glass and pours wine into it from the bottle she brings, Gabe cracks open a beer and then settles on my sofa. " nick, where is the popcorn?" Abby asks, i shrug and point to the snack drawer.

" nope not there." She says, panic setting on her face. " theres other snacks." I say. " nope, cant watch the notebook without popcorn." She protests. " i can get some I've only had a beer." Gabe offers, i shake my head.

" ill get some, 10 minutes." I say, i grab my keys and drive to the local 7-11. I head to the snack isle and grab popcorn. I get stuck looking at all the other snacks too.

" yes mom, ill be home in 10." Someone murmurs into the phone. " yes i got your wine." He says, i turn around and show him a smile of sympathy. But my eyes widen and my head is stuck unmoving.

" bailey?" I whisper more to myself than him. His face drops when he sees me. " I'll be home soon mom." He whispers and pushes the red button.

" Nick, how are you? I...i...it's you." He says in astonishment. " yeah it is." I say. He dosent get the sour tone and drops his basket and wraps his arms around me, i leave my arms at my sides and dont wrap mine around him. His hair is still blonde and messy and his eyes still blue.

He's grown a little stubble but it suits his face, his smile is still bright. He's stood smiling totally unaware he broke my heart.

" you look great." He says. " i know, it's like you cant tell you broke my heart 10 years ago." I say, pick up my popcorn and head to the cashier, i pay cash and take my change and rush to my car.

" Nick, please!" He calls after me, i hold my door open before looking back. Just one more time. " what? What could you possibly need to say that would justify leaving me for 10 years." I spit back, slamming my door shut and walking to him. " what? Go on." I say.

" mom made me." He murmurs, his face turning to a panic. " what?" I ask. He shakes his head as it hangs low. " mum said that if i didn't stop this "phase" then she would cut me off and not pay for college." He explains. " and i needed to go to College, to get out of here to be with you." He says and moves closer to me, i take a step back and his face turns to horror.

" these past years have been torture." He says, his arms reaching for my elbows like when we were younger. I laugh. " try thinking you pushed away the boy you loved." I laugh and his face turns sad and he wraps his arms around me, this time i wrap mine around him too.

" i should be heading back. I..." i start but i cant finish my sentence, wondering if i might see him again.  " yeah, me too. Great to see you, i hope i see you again." He says finishing my sentence. " yeah." I say, my eyes wander to around the parking lot and a i get into my car, nodding my head to him as i drive away.

I drive home with the boring hum of the radio and i pull into the driveway and grab the popcorn. I head up to the living room and Abby and Gabe are flicking through the tv channels.

" nick are you okay?" Gabe asks me, i drop the popcorn on the table, still in shock. " um no. I just saw Bailey after 10 years." I say. " what? THE bailey?" Matt murmurs, i turn around unaware he's behind me, his head in the fridge. " yeah, apparently he had to ghost me or his mom would cut him off." I explain.

" oh nick." Abby frowns and wraps her arms around me. I pull her in and tears threaten my eyes. I was doing "fine" and then i saw his face and it brought everything back up.

" i think im just going to go to bed." I say, they both nod. " i can take you guys home." Matt says. I thank him and trail off to bed. I lay under my covers, with flashbacks of bailey in my head.

Our whole 5 year friendship flashing through in little memories. Its too much, i just want him back. Oh god. Do i still love him?

Dont be stupid nick, he's the love of your life!