How do you do this?

Oakley tried to sit up but Kayce held her back against the bed.

"Kayce-"

"Shhh," Kayce snipped, listening.

One more gunshot rang out, causing Oakley and Kayce to bolt from the bed. They ran down the hall to their kids' bedrooms, Kayce headed into Evelyn's while Oakley made her way to Lee's.

"Tate!" Oakley called as she ran to Lee's bed.

"Momma?" Lee said groggy.

"Hey, baby," Oakley pulled Lee up and into her arms being careful of his injured one. "Come on, come with me."

"Dad?" Oakley heard Tate say from the hallway.

Oakley walked out with Lee in her arms, seeing Kayce holding Evelyn.

"Here," Kayce handed Evelyn to Tate and reached over, cupping Oakley's cheek.

"Kayce," Oakley was freaking out.

"Go down to the study," Kayce told her calmly. "Get a gun and stay there until I come get you, okay?

"Kayce," Oakley breathed out.

"Oaks!" Kayce tilted her head up. "I'll come get you."

He quickly went down the stairs.

"Oakley?" Tate asked, holding Evelyn against him.

Oakley looked around at the kids, shifting from her feet before making a decision.

"Stay behind me," Oakley told Tate, making her way to the top of the stairs.

The lights were still off downstairs and the whole place was eerily quiet. Oakley kept glancing back, making sure Tate was right behind her. They quickly made their way over to the far room, a small study where the gun cases were also kept.

"Momma?" Lee asked.

"Hush," Oakley said as she let Tate go in front of her and over to the two armchairs in the room.

He sat Evelyn down who curled inward. Oakley placed Lee next to his sister and put her hands on Tate's shoulder. Tate kneeled in front of the twins on the ground while Oakley made her way to one of the cases. She pulled out one of Kayce's rifles, grabbed a box of rounds, and hurried back over to the kids. She knelt next to Tate.

"What's happening?" Tate whispered.

"Don't know," Oakley locked the gun and turned her back to the chair.

She felt Evelyn and Lee's feet against her shoulder and she had to suck in some air to keep her wits about her. Tate sat down next to her, both of them facing the door into the study. It was dark, having not turned on any lights. The only glow was from the large window from where the porch light outside illuminated it.

"Momma," Evelyn whined.

"Hush, baby," Oakley whispered."We have to be quiet."

They waited for an unknown time in the corner. Oakley tried to listen for something but she couldn't hear a thing. Until a floor creaking caught both her and Tate's attention. Tate looked at Oakley as they heard another creak. Oakley adjusted the rifle in her arms, trying to be quiet.

A flashlight was then seen cutting across the doorway entrance. Oakley moved so she was on one knee, angling the gun to face the doorway. Kayce didn't have a flashlight when he left her and there'd be no need for him to have one in his own house.

Oakley gently took the safety off the gun and moved her hands into position. She felt Tate shift so he was partially behind her and turn so he was looking at the twins. Tears pricked at Oakley's eyes as she waited, whoever was walking was taking their time.