Ready?

"Momma! Come play!" Lee called out, tossing the baseball up in the air.

"Not until you learn to play nicely with your sister," Oakley laughed from the porch.

"She plays like a girl!" Lee groaned.

"I am a girl!" Evelyn snapped.

Oakley shook her head. The twins had been throwing the baseball back and forth for the past hour. Lee had been able to make Evelyn cry twice now but Oakley was determined for them to get along with this. The cold wind though was picking up and both twins had red noses now.

"A few more minutes you two!" Oakley called out as she reached for her phone buzzing.

"Hey," Oakley answered seeing Kayce's name. "Y'all almost home?"

"I need you to not get upset," Kayce said.

"What happened?" Oakley lowered her voice.

"Tate's okay," Kayce said.

It was then Oakley could hear noise besides Kayce coming through the phone. She stood up from where she had been sitting on the steps.

"I'm gonna need more than that, Kayce Dutton," Oakley said.

"Tate was driving us back," Kayce said. "We got into an accident."

"What?" Oakley yelled. "Where are you? Is he hurt?"

"Tate is fine," Kayce sighed.

"Where are you?" Oakley asked again.

"On 289," Kayce said. "Baby...it's all okay. The truck's a little banged up though."

"But Tate is okay?" Oakley asked.

"Yes, he's fine," Kayce said.

Oakley placed her hand on her heart.

"Did he hit someone or did someone hit him?" She asked feeling tears build in her eyes.

"Some deer were on the road," Kayce said. "Tate pressed on the brake but the truck behind us didn't pay attention."

"Dumbass," Oakley muttered but then remembered. "Are you okay?"

"Wondered if you'd ask about me," Kayce said and Oakley could hear the smirk on his lips.

"I'm sorry, but you know Tate-"

"We are both fine," Kayce said. "But we're waiting for a police report and then we'll hopefully head back....didn't want you to worry."

"Can I talk to Tate?" Oakley asked.

"Sure, hold on."

"Hey, Oaks," Oakley immediately relaxed at Tate's voice.

"Hey, buddy...are you okay?" She asked.

"I'm fine," Tate said. "Dad's truck ain't though."

"I don't care about the truck," Oakley sighed. "I care about the two of you."

"We're fine," Tate said and he sounded just like Kayce.

"Alright," Oakley nodded.

"Oh wait," Tate said and Oakley blinked.

"Hey, baby?" Kayce was back on.

"What?" Oakley asked.

"The truck is totaled," Kayce said. "Any chance you'd come get us? I can ask-"

"I can be there in twenty," Oakley said before hanging up.

**

Oakley pulled her truck over to the shoulder of the highway. She could see Kayce's truck being loaded up on a rig as she got out. The whole bed was smashed together. It looked like the backseat was probably damaged too. Tears came to Oakley's eyes as she looked over and saw Tate standing next to Kayce who was talking with an officer.