Apologies over coffee.

"We were able to suction out some of the blood around his heart to help alleviate the stress and weight...it can happen sometimes in fast surgeries," The doctors told Oakley and John about an hour later. "He took to it very well."

"Where is he?" Oakley asked.

"Back in the ICU," The doctor said. "Look...ma'am, visiting hours are almost over."

"I'm not leaving him," Oakley glared.

"Mrs. Dutton."

"No!" Oakley snapped. "Please...let me just go back and sit with him."

"We don't allow visitors in the ICU," The doctors frowned. "It's hospital protocol."

"I think we can make an exception for her," John said.

"I'm sorry, sir," The doctor said. "I have other patients back there...anyone could compromise them and I'm not about to risk others because you want to see your husband."

"But he's," Oakley tried.

"Tomorrow at eight," The doctor said. "He's stable...his stats look clean now...I'm not worried about him. But I am worried about you. How about you go home, take a shower, and come back in the morning?"

The doctor walked off before Oakley could respond. She looked up at John who was standing next to her. John's eyes found hers and he placed his hand on her back.

"I'll take you home," John said.

The two of them walked out front and stopped on the curb. Oakley seemed to remember something as they stood there.

"But...we didn't drive?" Oakley said.

A Yellowstone truck pulled up in front of them. Oakley got into the backseat without question as John got into the front with Walker driving. The drive was silent until they got on the highway.

"How's Beth?" Oakley asked.

"They're gonna wake her up tomorrow," John said. "She's healed up nicely.

"Good," Oakley blinked, the feeling of exhaustion passing over her.

She hadn't eaten anything today, didn't sleep well the night before, plus the added weight that was her husband getting shot...Oakley felt her eyes grow heavy as they drove on. She took a deep breath and leaned her forehead against the window. She missed Kayce desperately.

It was dark when they got back to the ranch. Oakley shut her door after getting out and slowly walked up the stairs to the front door. When she opened it, something delicious wafted past her nose. It felt warm in the house, comfortable as Oakley made her way over to the living room. Her mom and the twins were playing checkers as she stepped inside. Tate was sitting by the window and jumped up when he saw Oakley.

"Hey," Oakley's arms wrapped around Tate as he ran to her.

"How's Dad?" Tate asked, his voice muffled by Oakley's shoulder.

"He's okay," Oakley pulled back. "They're gonna monitor him through the night and I'll go back in the morning to see him.

"I'll go with you," Tate said.

"Momma!"

Oakley leaned down as Lee and Evelyn ran to her, their arms wrapping around her legs. She pressed a kiss to the tops of their heads. Erin stood up and walked around the couch, waiting for Oakley to have her moment with her kids.

"Where's Daddy?" Evelyn asked.

Oakley kneeled in front of them. Her arms held onto them.

"Daddy got hurt," Oakley said, fighting back her emotions.