Hesitation on parenting.

"I'm sorry?" Oakley asked the woman.

"My stepson," The woman nodded. "Marcus Anderson...last place I knew he was, was working for your ranch."

Oakley tried to control her breathing. She was with her kids, in front of the store, in broad daylight. The woman didn't look angry or upset, just a little lost. Oakley looked over at Tate who was standing next to Lee. Oakley knew Tate knew most of what had happened. She pulled Evelyn toward Tate and waited for him to take her hand before looking at the woman.

"I'm sorry...I don't do the hiring," Oakley said softly.

"Do you know him?" The woman asked. "He's only like...twenty-two or so."

Oakley thought it was curious she didn't know his age.

"We hire a lot of hands, ma'am," Oakley said. "Plus, it's summer, so there are a few seasonal workers on and off the ranch at any given moment."

"He ain't called in weeks," The woman said.

Oakley's eyes looked over the woman.

"Are you from here?" She asked.

"Nah," The woman shook her head. "Idaho."

Oakley took a deep breath and bit her tongue to stop herself from saying 'Salmon.'

"I'm sorry," Oakley said again. "I just don't know."

"You got a foreman or someone who might?" The woman asked. "I just hadn't heard from him in a while...too long."

"Yeah," Oakley nodded. "I can ask our foreman...you got a number or something he can give you a call?"

"Sure," The woman wrote down on a hum wrapper her number and handed it to Oakley. "Any sort of help would be appreciated."

"Okay," Oakley took the paper. "I'll have him call you later today if he knows something."

"Thank you," The woman nodded and slowly walked away.

Oakley watched her walk down the sidewalk and turn the corner. Her eyes then looked at Tate who was watching the woman just like she had been.

"Come on," Oakley said. "Inside."

**

"Are you gonna tell Rip?" Tate asked as he and Oakley were unloading their bags from the trip into town.

Oakley looked over at Tate.

"I already know," Tate shrugged.

"Now I'm wishing I hadn't told you," Oakley sighed.

"Are you gonna tell Rip?" Tate asked again.

"Tate...please let me and the adults handle this," Oakley said. "You've got one more year of being a kid...please just be a kid."

Tate rolled his eyes and walked ahead of Oakley. She watched him walk up the steps, into the house when her phone buzzed. It was Kayce.

"Hey," Oakley said.

"Hey, sorry I'm just now getting to you," Kayce said.

"It's alright," Oakley leaned against the truck. "Did you get my message?"

"Yeah," Kayce said. "His stepmom?"

"That's what she said," Oakley nodded. "What do you think?"

"Did you talk to Rip?" Kayce asked.

"Not yet," Oakley said. "We just got home."

"See if you can talk to Rip," Kayce said. "I'm on my way there."