Nineteen

Once they got home, she got all of their things inside and the kids before helping Kade up to their bedroom. She wasn't planning on letting him move for a day or two even though the media was going crazy. Kade had gotten requests for radio shows, podcasts, news outlets as well as Good Morning America. Luckily, his PR and Hendrick Motorsports were taking care of it and putting the press release out so they could have some peace.

"How you feeling?" She asked, stopping in their bedroom after putting Bristol down for a nap.

"I'm alright. Heating pad is helping a little bit," Kade nodded, "Where are the girls?"

"Bristol's sleeping and Dayton is downstairs doing her homework," Ashton answered, smoothing out part of the comforter before giving him the remote. "Call me if you need anything okay?"

"I will," he nodded, turning on a random show that wasn't race-related or talking about the accident.

Ashton went back downstairs, sitting with Dayton as she did some work on the computer. Dayton was doing her homework and quietly listened to some music on her iPod that Kade and Ashton had gotten her for her birthday. They were not ready for her to have a phone just yet.

"Is daddy okay mommy?" She asked, looking at her as she set her pencil down.

Ashton smiled reassuringly, "Yes, sweetheart. Daddy had a bit of a scare, but he's strong, and the doctors are taking good care of him."

"Will he still be able to race?" Dayton asked, looking up at her mother with uncertainty.

"He loves racing, Dayton. But he'll only get back in the car when it's safe," Ashton reassured her.

"I don't want Daddy to get hurt again." The little girl mumbled, tearing up a little.

"I know, honey. We're all doing our best to make sure he stays safe. And Daddy is being really careful too," Ashton said, giving her a comforting hug, "I'm scared too honey but it's what Daddy loves,"

"I just want Daddy," she mumbled, pushing her homework away.

"Let me go talk to Daddy real quick okay?" Ashton said as she kissed Dayton's head.

Dayton continued to sit at the table as Ashton went upstairs, sitting on her side of the bed.

"Kade, Dayton's worried about you getting hurt again. She asked if you'll still race."

"I get it, Ash. It's a dangerous sport, and I hate seeing her worried. I'll take every precaution, and I won't push it if I'm not ready." He promised, but Ashton didn't need the promise. Dayton did.

Ashton nodded, "She just needs reassurance, Kade. Maybe we can find a way to involve her more in this process, so she understands that safety is our top priority."

"You're right. I'll do everything I can to ease her fears." Kade agreed, "Can you send her up?"

Ashton nodded and stood up again, heading back downstairs to wear Dayton was sitting.

Ashton crouched down to Dayton's eye level, knowing she needed a little encouragement. "Sweetheart, I know you have a lot on your mind. If you want to talk to Daddy about how you're feeling, it's okay. He cares about you a lot, and he'd want to know."

"But I don't want to make him sad." She mumbled, as her eyes welled up with tears.

Ashton gently brushed a strand of hair from Dayton's face. "You won't make him sad, bug. Sharing our feelings helps us understand each other better. It's okay to tell Daddy you're scared. It's okay to be scared in general. And remember, Daddy loves you, no matter what."

Dayton nodded, as a little smile appeared on her face. "Okay, mama. I'll talk to him."

"Good girl. Remember that mommy and daddy will always be here for you. Okay?" Ashton said, giving her a reassuring hug before Dayton headed upstairs.

Dayton quietly opened the door and peeked her head in, not wanting to disturb Kade if he was sleeping.

"Hey, Nugget," Kade smiled, allowing her to come into the room and get on their bed.

"Hi, Daddy,"

"Come here sweetie," he sighed, opening his arms for her to cuddle up, "I heard you're a bit worried about Daddy racing again."

"I don't want you to get hurt, Daddy." Dayton nodded, looking up at him with her brown eyes.

Kade smiled, "I know nugget. Safety is really important to Daddy too. I promise I won't get back in the car until I'm completely okay, and the doctors say it's safe."

She frowned slightly, "But what if something bad happens again?"

"We can't predict everything, but I want you to know we're doing everything we can to make sure Daddy stays safe. And you're a big part of that, supporting me and being my little racing buddy," Kade said, ruffling her hair.

"Okay, Daddy. But promise to be extra, extra careful."Dayton gave a small smile, staying against Kade.

"I promise, sweetheart. Extra, extra careful," he assured, pulling her into a hug.

When Ashton came up to check on them, she slowly cracked their door open to see her daughter snuggled up and sound asleep against Kade while he watched a movie.