Twenty Three

After finishing practice without a problem, Kade got out of the car and took his helmet off before going to Jack to go over things.

Ashton watched in the bus before deciding to go out and watch the qualifying laps.

"I told you there was nothing to worry about," Kade said as she walked up to him.

"That's what you say but anything can happen," she sighed, hugging him tightly. She was nervous while he was in the car and it was something she couldn't deny.

"I know. But you know I'm careful,"

"It's just like you tell me. It's not you I worry about, it's everybody else,"

"I can understand that," he nodded, understanding where she was coming from now.

"And that sometimes the cars are so squirrelly," she sighed as he put his arm around her.

"I know but we're not thinking of that," He shook his head before kissing the top of her head.

"Right," she nodded, "Now get the pole,"

"I'm gonna try," he nodded, grabbing his helmet as they called all the group A drivers to their cars. Although, he didn't leave before he stopped to give her a kiss, and a tight hug.

She sat in the pit box and watched the cars go one by one, making their best efforts to get the pole position.

Kade ended up in first after his lap and with several other cars to go, they were hoping he would stay. He would move on to round 2 after that and gave the drivers from group B.

"I think we got it," Kade nodded, waiting for the last driver to go in their group. No matter what, he'd be going through.

"You did," she smiled, hugging him tightly as they got the confirmation that he made it through to round 2. "Make me proud,"

"You and my girls," he nodded, kissing her before he grabbed his helmet again.

She watched as the 10 cars went and on his first race back, he got the pole. Ashton couldn't have been happier for him.

"You did it!" She squealed, hugging him tightly as he came back over to his pit box.

"I can't believe that actually happened," he chuckled, holding onto Ashton tightly before kissing her.

"I'm so proud of you," she beamed, hugging him one more time before he went to talk to Jack.

Once they were finished at the track, they headed back home and relieved their babysitter before they went to find their girls. Dayton was in the playroom while Bristol was in her pack-and-play, taking her nap.

"Did you do good daddy?" Dayton asked, running up to give him a hug.

"I got the pole nugget!"

"Yay! Go, Daddy!" She grinned, hugging him as tightly as her little arms could.

"Do you want to come and watch tomorrow?" He asked, sitting at the table in the playroom so he could talk to his daughter.

"I think so. As long as you'll be okay?" Dayton asked, moving from the separate chair to his lap.

"I promise you nugget. I will do everything I can to stay safe,"

"Okay," she nodded, hugging him tightly.

"How about you and I go get some ice cream before dinner?" He asked, watching the little girl's face light up.

"Can I get sprinkles and hot fudge?" she asked.

"With your chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream?"

"Yeah?"

"Go get your shoes on," he nodded, "If mommy asks, we're picking up dinner,"

"Okay!" She grinned, running out of the room to go pick out a pair of shoes.

"Ice cream before dinner?" Ashton asked as she came into the room.

"Oh you heard that," he smiled.

"I did," she nodded, "Just be careful. You don't need to be puking in the car."

"I'm only going to have a bite or two of her sundae. It's more of a daddy-daughter date before a big day," he explained, kissing her cheek.

"You're a great dad, Kade," she smiled, "Be careful. I love you,"

"Love you too," he said as he actually kissed her this time, "I'll bring you back something,"

"I'm gonna hold you to that," she chuckled as she headed back to Bristol's nursery after hearing her cry.

"Yes ma'am," he chuckled, getting up and meeting their older daughter at the front door. "Alright, kiddo. What car should we take?"

"Can we take the truck?" She asked, looking up at him as they walked to the garage.

"Yes nugget," he chuckled, taking her to the parked truck and helping her jump in. "Ready for some ice cream?"

"Yes! But we need to make sure we get something for Mama and Bristol too!"

"Bristol can't quite eat ice cream yet honey," Kade chuckled as he got in the front seat and started the truck. "Ready?"

"Let's go!"