Twenty Six

It wasn't too long of a drive before they pulled into the long driveway and parked the car in the garage.

"Home sweet home with a second-place finish and 2 sleeping little girls," Kade sighed, pressing the ignition button after he'd put the car in park.

"You did really good Kade. Please don't beat yourself up," Ashton sighed, looking in the back seat to make sure their kids were still sleeping. "You know you did,"

"I know. It would've just been really nice to win. Show everyone an injury didn't take me out," he sighed, running his fingers over the leather-wrapped steering wheel.

"You did. You still showed everyone," she promised him, squeezing his arm before she got out and opened the back door.

"I got Peanut," he sighed, sliding out of the other side and opening the opposite back door.

"Dayton. Time for bed honey," Ashton whispered, gently shaking her shoulder.

"Are we home mama?" The little girl mumbled, rubbing her eyes as she woke up.

"Yeah baby, we're home,"

"Okay," she nodded.

Ashton got Dayton to her room and tucked her into bed while Kade gave Bristol her last bottle of the night. After that was finished, they met in their own bedroom, settling for the night.

"You did great tonight," Ashton told him as they threw extra pillows off the bed.

"Thanks, honey,"

"How'd it feel being back in the car?" She asked as they both slid under the covers on their respective sides.

"Felt like riding a bike. It felt good," he nodded, smiling as he faced Ashton. "Talladega was a freak accident and a good reminder,"

"Reminder?" She asked, looking at him a little confused.

"Reminder of how much I love it. And how much it provides for us and the girls," he shrugged.

"I guess," she nodded, never thinking of it that way until he brought it to light. She usually saw the car as a death trap and held her breath until the race was over.

"We'll talk more tomorrow," Kade said as he kissed her head. "Night honey. Love you,"

"I love you too," she grinned, kissing him before they both settled under the covers and fell asleep for the night.

——————

They both woke up around 6 to the sound of Bristol's hungry cry.

"I got her," Kade mumbled, pushing himself up before he got out of bed and left the bedroom.

Ashton was awake now, no matter how hard she tried to fall back to sleep. She got up and looked in on Dayton before going downstairs to the kitchen so she could start making some breakfast.

Kade was in the front living room, rocking Bristol as he had a show on the TV. The same morning show he always watched.

"Don't you ever get tired of watching the same thing every morning?"

"Does it look like it?" He countered, looking over at her with a small smile.

"You're a smart ass," she chuckled, walking into the kitchen so she could make herself some coffee. "Eggs? Or something else?"

"Whatever you feel like Ash, you know I'm not picky,"

"Mhm. Until I make whatever and you say 'Oh. You should've made this'," she chuckled, going back to the kitchen to start making some eggs.

"I do not," he joked as he moved Bristol to his shoulder to burp her.

"Okay," Ashton snorted, keeping her eye on the melting butter in front of her.

Bristol was soon quiet and happy in her little play area that had been set up since she was able to sit now.

"Is Day up?" She asked as soon as the eggs were close to being done.

"No. I'll go get her," Kade said as he headed out of the kitchen and up the steps. He climbed the second set of stairs in Dayton's room, up to her bed, and sat down. The girl never slept in and they were always nervous when she did.

She barely moved when Kade sat on her bed, moving a few stray strands of hair from her face before pulling her blanket down.

"Hey, Dayton. Time to wake up kiddo," he said as he gently pulled the blanket off her.

"No Daddy. I'm tired,"

"Why are you so tired? Did you sleep last night?" He asked, looking at her with a little curiosity.

"I did," she nodded but she was again, hiding the fear from her father.

The accident at Talladega really shook Dayton to the core and now the fear was even more pronounced. And it was something she couldn't control.

"Then why are you tired nugget?" He asked, moving the same strand of hair from her face.

"I couldn't fall asleep,"

"You were sleeping when I put you in bed last night,"

"I was faking," she shrugged, grabbing her favorite blanket to cuddle up with.

"Why honey? Can you talk to me?"

"I'm scared more now," she said in the smallest voice that she could muster up.

He sighed, having the feeling that this was coming. He'd talk to Ashton and they'd get her in some sort of counseling and hopefully, that would help in the long run.