Twenty Five

Ashton was on the edge of her seat and the anxiety she was feeling, felt like it was going to take over. She watched him and only him as the patriotically painted Liberty University Chevy moved back and forth.

She turned on the app and picked his radio, putting in her headphones to listen to what he was saying. She figured the fox booth would chime in, talking to him after the injury but other than that, it was just him, Nathan, and Jack.

"Hey Kade, it's Tony in the booth. You got me?" She heard Tony Stewart's voice come through her headphones.

"Yeah I hear ya," Kade said as he focused on the pace car.

"First race back and you got the pole. How you feeling about that?"

"I didn't expect it at all," he smiled, "I gave it my all and didn't know what was going to come of it after coming back from the injury,"

"We were all shocked but we're rooting for you buddy. How was the recovery?" Clint chimed in, adding his own flare to the conversation.

"It was alright. Really boring but my wife and my girls kept me going," Kade smiled, which Ashton could hear.

"Family's important," he nodded, "Alright. Good luck sir. Have a good race,"

"Thanks, guys," Kade nodded, watching as the pace car lights shut off. One more lap and it was time to go.

Ashton took a deep breath and said a silent prayer before they made it back around and the sound of engines revving filled the air.

She watched him closely, finding it hard to pick him out with all the patriotic paint schemes as it was Memorial Day weekend. She spotted the 24 still up front and kept her eye on it as it went behind the pit box.

He led a lot of the first laps and managed to get 3 car lengths ahead of the second-place driver, Kevin Harvick, who worked to get as close as he could to Kade. The competition yellow came out at lap 20, and most of the drivers came in for tires and fuel. Kade was lucky to have the first pit stall and got in and out pretty quickly. He was in first until the 12 came around him and took over first place.

After leaving their pit stall, he gained another 2 spots, neck and neck with Ryan again. It was caution after caution for what felt like half of the race. Kade was still sitting in second and it was getting to be him or Ryan.

"Come on Kade. Show them. Take it," Ashton whispered to herself, unable to take her eyes off the red white, and blue Chevy.

Kade ended up finishing in second but Ryan was able to finish in first. It's been a long time coming and if Kade wasn't going to win, he'd want one of his good friends to have it.

The cars soon came down pit road, and all the drivers got out, removing helmets and replacing them with ball caps.

Ashton got down the ladder, helping Dayton down before his car Chief handed Bristol down to her.

"Daddy!" Dayton grinned, rushing over to hug him as soon as she could.

"Hi nugget," he smiled, letting all the pressure and disappointment from the lost race wash away.

"You did good Daddy," she said as he lifted her off the ground in a tight hug.

"Thanks, sweetie," he nodded, kissing Ashton as she brought the baby over.

"You did great honey," Ashton said as she hugged him too.

"Thanks, babe," he smiled a little, hugging her tightly. "I'm happy for Ryan but it would've been cool to win this after coming back from an injury,"

"I know you wanted it but you did better than anyone could've thought. You got the pole and finished second after coming back from an injury," she told him, "You are amazing Kade Williams. And I'm so proud of you even if you didn't win it,"

"I love you," he nodded, kissing her again before he set Dayton on her own feet.

"I love you too," she grinned, kissing him back before handing Bristol to him.

It was only a few minutes before he had all kinds of different media coming to his pit stall to talk to him.

They went to victory lane, smiling as they all 4 went to congratulate Ryan on his Coca-Cola 600 win.

"Uncle Ryan!" Dayton yelled as she ran up to her adopted uncle.

"Hey Day," he smiled, kneeling to hug the little girl.

"You won!"

"I did!" He nodded, "Daddy wasn't too far behind me,"

"But you won!" She grinned, as she let go of him and hugged Gianna.

"Hi, sweetie,"

"Hi Auntie G!" Dayton grinned, hugging her tightly as her aunt kneeled to her level.

"That was a pretty good battle, Ryan, I'm glad you broke the winless streak," Kade said as he hugged his friend.

"I'm still in shock but it happened. And Penske swept the weekend,"

"That's right. You guys won the Indy 500 yesterday," Kade nodded as he hugged Gianna too. Ashton also hugged them both and now, Gianna was holding their baby girl.

"She's getting so big," she smiled, holding the baby as Bristol gnawed on her own fingers.

"I know. She's growing like a weed," Ashton chuckled, "She's gnawing on absolutely everything,"

"Sounds like someone's getting ready for some teeth," she chuckled, knowing from her and Ryan's nephews.

"I'm not ready, she's growing too fast," Ashton sighed, watching as Ryan took a turn to hold her.

"She is getting big. She's gonna be tall," Ryan said as he held her after letting her feet dangle for a second.

"She is my kid," Kade smiled, standing just above 5 foot 11.

"What are you saying? I'm tiny?" Ashton joked, resting her hands on Dayton's shoulders as they talked with their friends.

"You are," he chuckled before taking Bristol from Ryan, "Congrats man,"

"Thanks, guys, I appreciate it," Ryan nodded, hugging Dayton one more time before the Williams headed back.

Luckily, the parking lot wasn't too full anymore and they were able to pull out easily, heading home after a small victory in their lives.