Chapter 23- Clouds

Marinette's POV

Luka's coming back to school.

It's been two weeks since the trial, and Luka's finally been cleared to go back to school. I don't know what to feel with his return.

Both boys are connected to me. One's my soulmate, one's my worstmate. The problem is, I don't know which one.

Each day I continue to fall for Adrien. His gentle hugs, his flowers, his kindness, his warmth. He's everything I've ever dreamed of. Slowly, I forget Luka's blue eyes and begin to love Adrien's green ones. The 'bad boy' coolness of Luka's blue hair wears off, and I begin to appreciate the plainness of Adrien's blond locks.

But still, a nagging feeling remains from Luka. He's still there, dipping in and out of my consciousness, not letting me forget him. As much as it confuses me, I still love him. However, my love for him fades with every passing day. I still don't know whether it's a good thing.

"I bought your favorite strawberries Marinette!" I look up from my design book and see Adrien carrying a picnic basket, his hands filled with cutlery. It's a Friday afternoon in a cloudy sky, straight out of a fairy tale. With my heart fluttering in my chest, I close my design book. I smile, jump up, and help him carry the picnic basket.

We've been having these little 'dates' every week. We'll just out of the blue arrange a place and time and we'll spend time together. Sometimes Adrien will bring his video games and we'll play. Other times we simply sit and watch the clouds, asking each other questions about our lives and taking turns catching strawberries with our mouths.

Adrien's bodyguard is always near of course. He's not allowed complete freedom yet, although when I ask him why he refuses to answer. Sitting down on the soft grass, Adrien updates me on Luka. "He's also going to have a probation officer." I smile, hoping that this means Luka will become a better person. "See? With all this help, I'm sure he won't hurt me." I say.

Adrien shakes his head. "I don't think so Marinette. You didn't see his eyes when he gave his statement. That kind of people deserve to be behind bars." I sigh. I understood where Adrien's reasoning was coming from, but there was still a small part of me that forgave Luka for whatever he did. That part of me faded away each day.

"When is he coming back to school?" I ask Adrien, smoothing out the crinkle in his eyebrows with the tip of my finger. "In three days," he says. I frown. That was next Monday.

What was life going to be like with Luka back? I try to calm my racing heart that starts whenever I hear his name. He's not going to hurt me, I say to myself. He had a probation officer! He had security! It had to be okay. Right?

I look down and see Adrien's head on my chest. He looks up at me with his gorgeous green eyes. "It's going to be okay," he whispers. I sigh and wrap my arms around him, inhaling his sweet scent. "I sure hope so."

Together we lay in each other's arms, watching the clouds go by. The sweet scent of the breeze wafts up my nose and I close my eyes, relishing in the refreshing afternoon. It was going to be okay. It had to be.

I fall asleep in Adrien's arms.