Chapter 28- Clear as a Music Note

Marinette's POV

Knock knock

"Come in Marinette!" I hear Luka's voice call. My heart lightly fluttering in my chest I push open the door of the boat. I had ran all the way here and I was panting slightly. Opening the arched door, I step in and look in wonder.

The interior of the boat is cluttered, but not so much that it triggers my claustrophobia. The sun is filtered gently over the plush couches and knickknacks of bottles, coins and figurines are littered on every surface. Pictures hand on the wall of small Luka and Juleka, and a dark-haired man I don't recognise. There's a light smell of old wood that tickles my nose. Luka's standing in the hallway, a welcoming smile on his face.

"Welcome to my humble home." he says sheepishly, a little embarrassed. "There's only the three of us so sorry if the space is a little...small." I smile reassuringly. "No it's fine. It's not small at all." Luka nods and directs me to his room on the far left of the hallway. I step through the doorway and look up, gasping.

The whole room is a shrine to Jagged Stone.
Jagged Stone was the number one leading rock artist for nearly four years. Every album he's released has broken records. He had dyed purple hair and was famous for a pet crocodile named Fang. I was a fan of his music but nothing like Luka.

He had posters of him all over his room, every album he's ever released is stacked up in the corner of his bed, his merchandise littered on his desk. I stand gaping at his room for a few minutes, just in pure shock.

"Y-You have the limited edition Jagged Stone Golden Vinyl Record?" I gasp, pointing at the gold embossed disk. He grins. "I had to queue up for 35 hours to get this." He says, stroking the record lovingly. (Luka x Vinyl Record Anyone?) I jump to the stack of albums and begin searching through it. "You have three versions of Jagged Stone's 'Rock' Album?" I gasp. "And four diamond platinum versions of the 'Purple' Album too?" I look at with admiration. "You have my utmost respect." I say, giving him a little bow.

He laughs, his voice tinkling like wind chimes. "Thanks." He sits on the foot of my bed and looks at the posters. "I want to be just like Jagged Stone when I grow up. I want to make music just like he does." Luka says.

"Oh! Here's my guitar." He jumps up and opens his closet, taking out a well-loved guitar with six strings. The body is well-oiled with a rich brown colour. He closes his eyes and strums a chord, echoing it across his room.

Then he begins to play a melody, which is slow at first but then it comes rushing like a river. He begins to hum under his breath.

"Roses are red, violets are blue, birds in the heavens know I love you." His words trail off as the tune comes to a stop.

"My father used to sing it to me before he left." He says. "I'm sorry. When did he leave you?" I ask him. "4 years ago. We've never heard from him since." He sighs.

"One of the reasons I love Jagged Stone so much is because his music reminds me of him. He even has the same line in one of his songs. 'Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm sorry that I had to leave you." Luka says and falls silent. I feel his sadness radiating around the room.

"I'm so sorry Luka. No one deserves to lose their father figure." I say. Luka turns to me. "That's why you're different Mari. You try to help people who have wronged you. You're an extraordinary girl Mari. Clear as a music note, sincere as a melody. You have been the song I've been playing in my head since we first met, and I can't stop listening to it." He says.

A tear forms in my eye. I had never heard anyone say anything so caring to me. So raw and full of emotion. I place my hands on his. "Thank you."

"Did you call me Mari?" I ask him. "Yeah I did. It's a good nickname for you. Do you like it?" He asks.

"I think I do." I say and lean my head against his shoulder. We sit in silence for a few moments, enjoying each others company.

"Would you like to go with me to a park this Saturday?" Luka asks me. "It's overlooking the airport. It's really cool watching the planes take off." I bite my lip, considering. I had a weekly picnic with Adrien that day. Well, it wouldn't hurt to skip one day right?

"Okay, sure." I say, hoping Adrien won't be mad. I can just lie, I hope. Luka gets up. "That's great! I'm going to the bathroom, I'll be right back." He leaves and closes the door, causing a gust of wind to blow and take down one of Luka's posters.

Picking the poster up, I begin to stick it on the wall again when I notice the piece of paper behind it.

Looking around, there was no one in the room. Come on Marinette! Don't read other people's things! You're better than this! I chant to myself. But against my will, my eyes still find the first word.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Birds in the heavens know I love you

Roses are red,
Violets like sea,
Blue like the tears wept when you left me.

Roses are red,
Violets attack,
Just like I will do to get you back.

Roses are red
Violets will sing
When the body I hide, the body I bring

Roses are red,
A song like a clarinet
Here lies, the body of a Marionette.

I hear Luka's footsteps approaching. Panicking, I stick the poster hastily, hoping it stays on. Luka opens the door. "Marinette, it's nearly dark. Would you like to go home now?" He says. I hastily nod, my gut feeling suddenly increasing. What was that poem? What about hiding bodies?

Fear starts to build up in my body, as my lungs construct. I don't think that poem was about Zoe.

I get up to leave the room, but I bump against the door and fall. Luka graciously catches me as I get back in my feet. "S-Sorry." I say, my heart beating like a marching band. Another gust of wind blows, the poster falls again and flutters on the bed, Luka stops and stares at the paper, now visible. He then looks at me and his eyes narrow.

And he smiles.