Into the Unknown

This story is purely fictional and not based on ANY kind of facts or situations. Story is written in the future, after all have served their military time. 

Let me introduce myself. My name is Lynn. I'm from the great state of Texas in the USA. A lot has happened over the last several years. Big decisions were made. Ultimately, I needed to be home. Maybe not the city I grew up in, but state at least. So, my kids and I packed up and drove half across the country to start fresh. I bought a cute little house perfect for us. Then the journey of re-discovering myself began.

Now a new beginning for me is coming when I get to Seoul, South Korea. Only I had no idea what was truly in store for me upon arrival. There is no way I could have even guessed what was to come. New body was coming, due to 150 pound weight loss and the surgery I was going to have there. One child was having their chest surgery as well. The other, he was coming along for moral support. The surgeries are the main the reason for going to Korea. The rest, well... Let's just say, let the adventure of a lifetime begin!

It's time and honestly, I'm excited and scared. Am I ready? Seriously, am I really prepared for this? Can I do this? Are the kids going to be ok while I'm down from this surgery? Is the apartment really in a nice area? I hope the elevator works, otherwise how will I get to my apartment after surgery if it doesn't?

These and so many other thoughts are tumbling around in my mind as I wait in the first-class lounge. For the first time in my life, I'm leaving the American continent. My brain in on over-load. My nerves have officially kicked into high gear. It's going to be a long flight. But I'll be there for a year, along with my kids. We've got a friend house sitting and a furnished apartment in Seoul secured with the keys in my bag already. But the nerves, yeah... I'm 43 and seriously scared. It sounds ridiculous to even say it, but it's the truth.

"Mom" says Don, "stop with the worrying." As if it's that easy.

"Seriously mom, you've got this. We're going to have fun! Well, after y'all are recovered, that is." Chimes in from my youngest, Tony.

"You make it sound so easy, but y'all know that is not how my brain functions. I'm a natural worrier and it's just going to happen."

"But... oh, they're calling our flight. You both ready for this?"

They both look at me and I see the apprehension they've been trying to hide, very evident in their eyes all of a sudden. I pull them both in for a bear hug. We all needed it. We separate and grab our carry-on bags. Here we go!

The flight was a long one. Took us a little over15 hours to make it. We left so that when we arrived in Seoul, it would becloser to evening so we could actually sleep. I made sure we only slept for just a few hours when we in flight. Luckily, we were all sitting close to one another, so we kept each other awake the rest of the way.

"Ok my spawn, here we are! Who's ready to get this adventure started? I'm ready, I'm excited and a bit scared. I know we've got this though."

"Hello, did you hear me? Let's go get our luggage and get this show on the road. So turn your music down so we can make sure we're all staying together. I do not need to lose either of you when we first get here."

"Though, the two of you are taller than most everyone here. I don't think I'd be able to lose you too far! *giggling*"

"Mom, I'm too tired to be excited right now. Talk to me tomorrow after I've slept at least 12 hours." mumbled Don.

"I second that. You are way too damn perky after being on a plane for 15 hours. Plus, did you just really call us freaking giants?" grumbled Tony.

"Ugh, party poopers. Get over it. You know how I am! And I might let you sleep later, but right now we gotta get all our luggage and get the Uber ordered. Then we need to go eat. Luckily there is a convenience store right around the corner. And Tony, look around. You ARE taller than a lot of the people." I look over and both stick their tongues out at me.

"We'll drop off our luggage at the apartmet then walk up there."

"Moooommmmmm... But I'm sleepy...I want sleep, not food..." they both start saying.

"Nope. No mom, no buts, no arguments. Even if you don't want much, we have to get some waters and soda's for the night and the morning. Got it? Shuck it up buttercups!"

They both hung the heads, sighed loudly, but agreed. I get it, I'm tired too, but damn the attitude. They are not fun when they don't have enough sleep. Which I know, but I was prepared for the jet lag. Now to keep them awake in the cab.

You'd think my kids were still teenagers, but nope. These two are 21 and 23. We are very close though. Both still live at home, as they are both saving up money to eventually move out. In fact, Tony is actually over here on a year work visa since he got his mechanical engineering degree a year ago. We weren't sure it was going to happen, but he got it a couple months ago! Now he's working toward getting his masters but taking a small load of online classes the year he'll be in Korea. He's pretty excited to see where this leads. Truthfully, I'm excited for him as well.

Like I said, this is definitely an adventure. Not only for me, but them as well. Who knows what's going to happen? Can't wait to find out what the future holds. Don's surgery is first. Then it's let him heal up some and then mine. Mines definitely the most intensive of the two, so my healing with be a bit longer.

Now that I'm here, the nerves are stronger. So is the excitement too! It's really happening. Am I really prepared though? I'd better be. I have to be.

Stop it Amy! You are ready and you are prepared! , I though to myself. Sometimes you just need to yell at yourself. *giggling internally*

Little did I know, how unexpectedly crazy life was about to get!