prologue

prologue
gasp

             I shiver as I enter the graveyard that my mother rested in

             I shiver as I enter the graveyard that my mother rested in. Both my hands grasping the opposite shoulder was my best attempt to hug myself. I didn't visit my mother often, it's been four years since she died and we weren't that close when she was alive so I never found a point in visiting.

I take in a shaky breath before I exhale and see my breath float into the air. As I'm walking I hear footsteps crunch on some leaves behind me. I glance over my shoulder and see a couple just on a walk (in a graveyard?) so I quickly look back in front of me.

My mother's grave was far from the entrance, it was also dirty since me and my father had no care to clean it. I place my feet onto the patchy grass and stare down at her grave. I don't know why I visit her, I don't even say anything I just stare. Maybe I'm still in shock.

A gust of wind blows past me, I shiver which creates the decision to not stay long. I look down at my (father's) satchel that rested on my side, I open it and take out the red rose that I had brought for my mother's grave. I close the bag and then crouch down, gently placing the flower on the stone.

I silently stare at the flower for a few minutes. My mother died to a vampire, well, thats what my father told me. I don't believe him. I don't think their real. My father is a vampire hunter but I think he's just hunting a whole bunch of nothing. He gets paid a lot for it though. He also wants me to become a vampire hunter when I'm older, I wouldn't like that, but I don't think he cares. My boyfriend (who I have been going out with for over a year now) thinks my father is stupid but at the same time also believes in vampires and is also a vampire hunter.

I lift my eyes when I hear a squeak. My eyes focus on a bat sat atop my mother's headstone. I let out a small noise of surprise and step back out of shock. I didn't expect to see the bat, and it seems the bat didn't expect me to see it either because it has the same reaction as me. The bat stumbles off the headstone and falls to the ground before hastily flying away. I calm down and stand up straight again, quietly laughing to myself as I watch it dissappear into the darkening sky. I saw the bat often, it seemed to follow me around a lot, and sometimes there were two of them.

I decide to go home when I notice the sun is now almost hidden. I mutter a small goodbye to the grave before I walk off. It was getting late and my father most definitely wanted me home by now.

As I walk down the dirt path towards the entrance of the graveyard, my eyes spot the couple I saw before. I roll my eyes when I see how gross they were being, who bites someone's neck in a graveyard? Y'know, standing above a ton of death bodies? I glance at them as I walk past, they were a good distance so it wasn't like I was intruding. But when I casted that small glance, I saw the woman collapse in the tall man's arms. Even in the dark I could see how pale his skin was, how his lips were as red as the liquid dripping down the woman's neck.

I gasp and slap a hand over my mouth. His eyes lift from her neck and stares at me. His gaze was cold, but seemingly loving. I swear I saw a charming smile on his bloody lips. I turn my head forward and continue walking. Because vampires aren't real.

I take in sharp breaths as I rush down the cobble road, all that could be heard was the loud crunching of a few leaves below my feet. I didn't hear footsteps following so I slowed down a bit and looked over my shoulder. No one. I look back in front of me, I see that same bat (maybe a different one, who knows) now sat atop a sharp metal fence that lined the graveyard I was running away from. Shaking off the fact it was staring at me, I continue walking.

When I spot my house, I see my father in the front window, he spots me as he closes the velvety curtains. I see a scowl on his face right before they shut. The front door opens and I rush inside. "Well what's got you all scared?" My father closes the door and glares at me, his arms crossed over his chest.

I take in a deep breath. "I-I uh.. thought I was being followed" I reply, it was half of the truth, but I knew if I told him the rest of what happened he would dissappear for a week only to come back with no vampire dead. He wasn't that good at his job but the people in this town still adored him like a priest. "I'll be going to bed now! Goodnight" I go to walk up the stairs but a hand on my shoulder stops me. Oh God, what's he gonna do? What's he gonna say--?

"Can I have my satchel back?"

"Oh.. yeah" I slide it off my shoulder and give it to him before walking up the stairs and going to my room. I open the door to my room and slip inside, I close the door and let out a breath of relief. I press my back against the door and close my eyes. Vampires are not real. They aren't. My fathers job is useless because vampires don't exist.

I shakily raise my hand up to my collarbone, grasping the crucifix that hung on my neck. My father makes me wear it everywhere, even to bed, (sometimes I take it off at home though). He says vampires can't touch you when you where a crucifix.

I breathe in again. I open my eyes when I hear a squeak once again. I see the bat once again, my window was open and cold air blew inside. Why is my window open? I shuffle over to the window, I nudge the bat off the windowsill and then close the window. Locking the latch after I shudder from the cold. The bat loudly squeaks and scratches the window, I grasp my curtains and harshly pull them shut.

I move to the middle of my room, I scan my whole room, I look at every single spot just to make sure nothing was there. I slowly walk to my bed, I sit down and sigh. I flop down and look up at the ceiling. I don't want to admit what I've been denying for years.

But vampires might be real.

mak speaks!SOTTPTPPPP IM SO EXCITEDD, THIS IS JUST THE PROLOGUE THATS WHY ITS SO SHORT DONT WORRY 🤭 USUALLY CHAPTERS I WRITE ARE LIKE 1700-3000 WORDS

mak speaks!
SOTTPTPPPP IM SO EXCITEDD, THIS IS JUST THE PROLOGUE THATS WHY ITS SO SHORT DONT WORRY 🤭 USUALLY CHAPTERS I WRITE ARE LIKE 1700-3000 WORDS