three

chapter three
whiskey

             "There," I place the two bottles of whiskey on the dirt in front of Schlatt's grave

             "There," I place the two bottles of whiskey on the dirt in front of Schlatt's grave. He appears out of no where. I jump and he laughs. "Now, write me the list" I take a notebook and pen out from my bag.

"Ooh, this is the good stuff" Schlatt sinks into the ground so he's the same height as the whiskey. "But, before I can drink it, I need you to smash it onto the ground" He floats back up so his body isn't in the ground anymore.

"Why?" I look at him confused.

"Because that kills the bottles, duh" He rolls his eyes as if it were obvious. "Look, I don't know how it works. But, you need to smash the bottle so it basically kills it. Then you need to bury the shards of glass.. and boom, I can grab it" He explains to me with his arms crossed.

"That's stupid" I deadpan.

"I don't make the rules!" He shrugs and sticks his nose high in the air. I sigh and put my stuff back in my bag, he turns his head back to me and happily watches as I pick one of the bottles up. I swing the bottle against his headstone, it doesn't shatter. I turn my head to Schlatt, I see his eyes squeezed shut and his hands over his ears.

"It didn't even shatter" I stare at him, a bored expression on my face. He peaks at me and sees the bottle still in my hand.

"It didn't even shatter!" He shouts. I roll my eyes. "Hit it again!" He points at the headstone. This time, I swing harder. "AH!" He quickly floats away and hides behind another gravestone when the glass shatters, whiskey seeps down the stone, soaking into the dirt.

I look over at Schlatt. "Okay, it's broken. What now?" I ask him, he slowly floats back over, a smile growing on his face when he sees the shattered glass.

"Now bury it!" He points at the ground. "I'm not sure how you can dig up the dirt, but figure it out!" He crosses his arms and watches me as I sit down on my knees and begin to shovel the dirt up with the broken bottle of whiskey. "Smart!" He nods. I feel a sharp burning pain in my finger but I guess I was to determined to care, I think I've lost it. The work I was putting into this made my body hot even in the cold temperature. I was annoyed I had to do all this work for some stupid list, well, it wasn't stupid.. I felt like I needed this list to help my paranoia, if I got this list of things then maybe I'd be less terrified to go outside.

"There," I breathe out, bringing a hand to the back of my neck and trying to wipe away the warmth. My eyes widen at the feeling of a warm liquid drip down my arm and neck, I take my hand away from my head and see the blood seeping down my hand, the cut was on my finger.

"You okay?" Schlatt asks, lying down while hovering over the ground, his arms crossed behind his head as he glances at my finger and then my face.

"I'm fine, it just.. stings a bit" I shake it off and shove dirt over the shattered glass (with my noninjured hand). "So.." I trail off, staring at the horribly made 'grave' for the whiskey. "You can grab it now?" I look at Schlatt, he floats closer to me and stares at the dirt with me.