one

chapter one
vampires

             I sit up in my bed at the sound of glass shattering

             I sit up in my bed at the sound of glass shattering. I look around and see a brick on the floor of my bedroom, my window shattered. My heart rate quickens in pace and I start to breathe heavily. "Hello?" I call out as I stare at the window. Nothing.

Suddenly there's a gust of wind that blows in through the shattered window, a tall man appears in my room. He looked exactly like the man from the graveyard, the supposed "vampire". I grip my sheets with both my hands as I just watch him menacingly stare at me with a smug gaze. Why won't he say say anything? He lifts his foot and I flinch, he pauses for a moment before walking closer to me.

I scoot back against my headboard, he only gets closer as I plead for him to back away. He grins, showing how sharp his canines were. Oh my fucking god I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die to something I'm just now believing in. He presses his knee onto the bed, leaning closer a placing a hand on my jaw. I lift my eyes up from the floor and stare at him. I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die. He brings his face closer to mine, lowering his head down. I feel his sharp teeth brush against my neck. Why won't I move?

He bites down.

I jolt up and immediately place a hand on my neck, feeling nothing out of the ordinary so I feel my canines next. Normal. I sigh and flop back down onto my bed, closing my eyes. Fuck. If this vampire stuff is gonna start causing nightmares like that I don't think I'm gonna be able to keep this to myself. I was gonna hang out with my boyfriend today, maybe I can talk to him about it.

After I get ready for the day, I make my way downstairs. I go to the kitchen and see my father preparing his breakfast while mine was already on the table. I sit down at the table and stare at the food in front of me.

I fiddle with the crucifix on my neck as I eat my breakfast at the table. My father takes a seat across from me, I catch his glance. He takes a bite of his food and acts like he didn't do anything. "What?" I ask.

"There was a murder last night in the graveyard. You know anything about that?" He lifts his head and squints at me.

"Uh. No" I shake my head and continue eating, but he doesn't look away from me.

"Did you kill someone?"

I quickly lift my head, my eyebrows furrowed at him. "What? N-No? Why would you think I was the one that murdered the woman?" I place a hand on my chest, shocked he would even assume I did it.

He slams his hand down on the table and points at me with the other. "I never said it was a woman-- you're a murderer!" He shouts at me.

I stand up and raise my hands in defense. "No! No, I didn't!" I promise him. "I swear. Last night I ran home because I saw a vampire" I try my best to explain, but he knows I don't believe in vampires. "I-I know what you're gonna say. 'You don't believe in them, though!' And I know. I know I don't-- I didn't. But last night I saw a vampire kill the woman and I ran. I'm sorry, I should've told you" I explain to him (adding a small apology at the end).