part 28

Evelyn could feel her mate's upset. His worry resonated through her, it wasn't the typical worry and stress of running a pack either. She sent her questioning feeling through their mate bond.

We need to discuss this in my office. Bring Alaric. Charles and Sophia are already here.

She acknowledged him through the bond before linking the tall enforcer, requesting his presence in the Alpha's office.

Luna, Alaric linked back, your son just arrived, shouldn't he be part of this as well?

Of course, bring him with you.

Yes ma'am, give us a minute we are coming in from the border.

Luna Evelyn then felt her son's presence and a vision took her. It was horrible, fire and death. The packhouse ablaze, Charles screaming in a pool of blood, Richard.... no, no, no! She collapsed at the base of the stairs as the possibilities of the future ran through her mind. Her pack members dying in fire and blood, one sometimes both of the Beta pair gone in multiple ways. Richard died in every, single, one. He died saving her, he died trying to save Sophie, he died in the first explosion, it was the one sure thing she could see. About half the possibilities her son died too.

She felt herself being lifted and carried to a more private place. This time, her mates presence was no comfort, he would die, she had seen it.

Richard didn't say a word as he gently rocked her in his arms. He sat in his office chair, his strongest warriors here with him. His friend and Beta Charles and his wife who was helping him tend Evelyn, Alaric tall and brooding in the corner where he stood, and his son Mark were all there.

"She is having a terrible vision." Richard explained. "I've never seen one this bad, but we can't start this meeting without her input."

Evelyn began to settle down. Her shaking stopped and she slowly uncurled herself and delicately kissed him, her love for him and pain reverberated in his head, almost bringing him to tears. He gently kissed her back and then she settled comfortably in his arms.

"Luna," Alaric said gently, "what did you see?"

"Blood and fire and death." Came her reply.

"Any certain deaths, love?" Asked the Alpha.

"Yours," she gasped out. Richards grip on her tightened as he pulled her as close to him as possible.

"You're sure?" He asked, and she nodded against his chest. She had seen his death multiple times throughout the years but there had always been a way he could survive it, a path he could take.

She straightened in his lap, "I saw the packhouse on fire and heard and felt many deaths." She looked around the room, "there were only two certainties. Alaric will live, Richard will die."

The room was in an uproar. "Traitor!" yelled Charles as he and Mark grabbed Alaric and tackled the lanky man to the ground. Sophia jumped to the Alpha pair's side, ready to help console her friend.

"Stop!" The Alpha command rang out, all parties looking up at him. "Release him Charles."

"But mother just said he lives and you die, father." Mark protested, his golden hair flopping into his eyes.

"That doesn't make him a traitor son. Release him."

Mark reluctantly released Alaric and the enforcer warily rose to his feet. He hadn't resisted when they jumped  him, he was as shocked as they were at the Luna's words. He strode to the other side of the desk and knelt before the Alpha pair, "On my life I am no traitor and will prove it in any way you ask." He bowed his head in respect and stayed kneeling.