part 29

"Did that guy ever text you back?" Audrey asked Missy who bit her lip and nodded excitedly.

"We are supposed to go out to dinner in the city next week on my day off."

Audrey smiled, it was about time Missy found someone to actually go out with. The girl had to have turned down every single boy in the school yet still would drool over them. This one had to be something special, if not Audrey knew how to get away with some interesting things.

"What about Mr. Newman? You guys solidify your gardening date?" Missy asked. "I still say you deserve more than work as a first date."

"I'm actually getting ready to head that way," Audrey told her. "And I actually really like gardening, it'll be good to get my hands back in the soil."

"As long as you're happy." Missy said. "Do I need to call Jaden for a ride?"

"No, I'm heading there after I drop you off and ill pick you up after your shift is over."

"Ok, but I can call Jaden if you want to stay out a little longer."

Audrey looked at her, her eyes sarcastically half lidded as she looked up at her friend and said, "I'll keep that in mind."

After dropping Missy off at the diner Audrey made her way to the pack house. He was waiting for her when she pulled in and after she turned the car off, he opened the door and offered his hand. She stared at the hand not really sure how to react but picked up her bag and cautiously took his hand and rose out if the car. "Thank you," she said questioningly.

"No problem. Do you have gloves?" Drake asked, leading the way after softly shutting the car door.

"No," she answered honestly. Audrey appreciated his care to not slam the door. She followed his lead to the entrance to the greenhouse and accepted the gloves he offered her. "Zeppelin ok?" She asked as she pulled the Bluetooth speaker she had gotten for Christmas out if her bag.

"Do you have any particular album in mind?" He asked her.

"I was just going to put them on shuffle, unless you have a favorite." She offered.

"Not a favorite album, but could you start off with 'houses of the holy'?"

She nodded and selected the song from the list and hitting shuffle. She set the speaker in a corner and grabbed a mat for her knees. A few beds had weeds still pop up now and again since the greenhouse had been built on top of local dirt instead of planting soil so it would take a while for weeds to be fully eradicated. They pulled weeds, harvested herbs, and enjoyed each other's company. Audrey felt her anxiety monster start to release its sharp talons. His dorky manner had a way of putting her at ease and soon she was laughing instead of the tight smiles she normally gave.

Drake's whole body went suddenly ridged as his eyes unfocused. A feeling of danger washed over Audrey and she slapped her hands over her ears. It felt like something was trying to crawl inside her brain.

Whatever it was succeeded as Drake grabbed her hand and began rushing her towards the door. ATTACK! EVERYONE GET TO SAFETY! It sounded like Alpha Richards, but her brain hurt to much from the intrusion.

She ran with Drake, her hand grasped tightly in his. He led her to a small root cellar behind the greenhouse and barred the door behind them. Darkness eclipsed the tiny room and she felt Drake's arms wrap around her, pulling her tight to his body. She felt a gentle tug on her battered conscious.

Are you ok? Drake's gentle tone soothed her battered walls. Just focus on projecting what you want me to hear.

I'm ok. What's going on? She had tolerated the mind link only to the point of brushing consciousness with the Alpha when she was accepted into the pack. She never actually accepted a link into her mind, but the Alpha command had forced its way past her mental barriers.

The pack is under attack. Not everyone was called out to fight though so its probably only a small force.

The emotions that accompanied his words threatened to overwhelm her. Worry for the pack's children, fear over the enemy finding them covered with a fierce protectiveness. The fact that he was scared didn't surprise her, but what that fear was aimed at certainly did. Yes, he was afraid of having to fight, but it paled in comparison to his fear of her wellbeing. His grip on her tightened as they felt a small pinprick through the pack bond: someone had died. She felt the tears drip on her shoulder as Drake began to cry. She sent him a small questioning feeling.

She was only three.... came his reply, Audrey held him tightly to her as he cried, tears springing to her own eyes. She attempted to reach out to comfort him and his mind latched onto hers through their bond. The rage boiled her blood. He was crying out of anger. She brushed her hands up his body until she reached his face and gently wiped his tears away. His hands came up and did the same for her. Lightning coursed through her body and she was surprised there weren't electric currents lighting the dark between them, the feeling was so strong. She gently tugged his face to hers and lightly brushed her lips across his. This man, who wasn't a fighter, who never wanted to hurt anyone, was enraged enough to kill because of the death of a child and she knew without a shadow of a doubt that the only reason he didn't immediately rush out to find the killer was he wanted to make sure she was safe. This is someone I can trust my heart to, she thought. He kissed her deeply, he was holding her gentle enough that she could easily pull away, but she didn't want to. The walls she had built around her heart and mind collapsed as she lost herself in the mate bond.