Part 8

Jackson Browne - Doctor my Eyes

Drake just couldn't seem to get to sleep. His thoughts were racing and the urge to go and be with his mate was infuriating. It was only a mild itching in the back of his mind, he could ignore it most of the time. Unless he was trying to sleep, then it was almost impossible to ignore it.

He rolled over to stare at the clock. 1:00 A.M. great. He swung the covers off of his body before pulling on some clothes to work out in. Maybe if he exhausted his body he might be able to get some sleep before morning. It helped, some.

Something loud woke Drake and he came up swinging. Luckily John had fast reflexes because otherwise he would have been laid flat.

"You're late for a teacher." John stated with his arms crossed and a smile plastered on his face. "I think Luna is going to make you drive the van." Drake just groaned and flopped onto his back and stayed there until John left the room.

"Good morning, Drake." Luna Evelyn's voice greeted him as he entered the already packed kitchen and dining room.

"Good morning, Luna." Drake replied wearily.

The Luna put down the spatula she had been using to help cook the enormous breakfast for the pack and thrust the pack's van keys in one hand and a bagel with cream cheese on it in the other. "Since you slept late, do me a favor and take the pups to school with you." She gave him her brightest smile as she turned back to the stove. Well, this is what he got for waking up late.

This was not what she needed today, Audrey thought. Why was John hanging around her locker, Missy was already in class by now, and she had a presentation to give in a little bit.

"Hi," the big wolf said, "Audrey right?"

"Yep." Audrey replied while pulling out the folder for her presentation, "Missy is already in her class by now.

"I know, I passed her on the way." John followed as she started walking away. "I wanted to ask how you got your car?"

"My dad, James, and I restored it." So he wasn't going to just go away, lovely.

"So you know your way around an engine, nice. Not many girls do."

"Engine, transmission, brakes, all of it." Why was she engaging him in conversation? She didn't know this kid.

John looked impressed. "So is your dad James Craftsburn? The mechanic?"

"Yes." She looked around for an escape and saw Mr. Newman, he smiled at her and she was surprised to find herself smiling back.

"Where did you find such a car?" John asked as they continued down the hallway.

She found herself telling John about the restoration process she had put her baby through as they walked towards their third hour without a thought for the presentation that had had her stomach in knots earlier.

Drake was proud of his cousin. John was already trying to make a friend of the person who would eventually become part of the pack, he was already becoming the good Beta he would grow up to be. A Beta that took care of every member equally, no matter if they were among the lower levels, such as a lowly half-blood.